German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
My Golden retriever has this... I just found out last month and she is 4 yrs old. She has vaginitis often, ughhh, but thanks for the info!

·
Registered
686 Posts
My female had this condition. She had (very pricey) surgery to fix it. The surgery was very successful and she never had another problem with it. Felt bad for the poor girl though. :(

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Shannon, how old was she when you did this? my vet hasn't even offered a surgery. He told me if it doesn't go away I will have to by vaginal wipes for her. But even now, her vulva area is black....and she is a white-golden dog

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
A former foster pup of mine had this and the vet did surgery on her when she was about 1 yr old and fixed the issue.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Shannon, how old was she when you did this? my vet hasn't even offered a surgery. He told me if it doesn't go away I will have to by vaginal wipes for her. But even now, her vulva area is black....and she is a white-golden dog

The surgery was done when she was 9 months. She had NOT had her first heat. I was not able to wait because she was constantly uncomfortable despite the oral antibiotics and cream applied every 12 hours. Not all doctors will do the surgery. It can be very tricky to make it successful. . .
I would ask your veterinarian for his/her view on surgery as an option.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an Update on Jaina, it did correct itself after her heat. :) Though she never had any issues with it in the first place I guess there are different degrees of severity.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have bred two females with this condition and their first heat cycle cured the inverted vulva each time. They were both spayed after their first heat cycle.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My pup had a recessed vulva. Not totally inverted but not an outie. Letting Her go through her first heat corrected this, as advised by my breeder and vet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts