German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've done some research and I really want to try TTouch with Grimm. I am unfortunately not understanding a thing in the articles on technique.. I guess I am more a visual learner, I just can't process what I read for the how-to. Are there any on-line video clips of the TTouch method being used? It would be a long time until I have the money to purchase a real TTouch video. Any video clips online anywhere?

Can TTouch be used on a dog who is ultra-affectionate? If the dog collapses while being petted, rolls over, eventually sleeps.. does this interfere with the result?

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Patti, try working on Grimms ears, forehead, side of the face and maybe the neck. Those are nice relaxing area's. Here is a bit of a note, I don't take to DeeDee while she is getting her massage work. I don't want my voice interfering with what she is feeling.
I don't knw if I really do the touches as described in the book, I just do what works for DeeDee.

For ears I message the base of the ears and the cup the ear with my hand and slide out to the tip of the ear.

If what you try isn't perfect with what the book says, that's ok, the big thing is how Grimm reacts. With DeeDee when she is stressed and comes and asks for "rubs" within a few minutes you can feel her being totally relaxed, if you stop before she wants you to she smacks you with her paw. She never smacks me or DH other wise, it is just with the "rubs".

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ROFL Val, too funny! She wants her massage? What a super relationship you have with DeeDee. Grimm collapses when I try to massage his ears normally. I can try this ear massage thing just as soon as I can see and understand how to actually do the TTouch motions. I need a video clip.. i cannot seem to 'get' the written descriptions.

Jamie, thanks.. anything you have time and inclination to video of you and Ris is always a delight!
This would be educational, too. Thank you!
Does the TTouch help Ris some?

Val, do you know of any online videos? My post is basicly that I don't seem to be able to envision/follow the instructions when written.. I need to see it, and cannot afford the DVD for a few months. I am searching for online video clips for now.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Alrighty, here's the video (it's a bit choppy because I edited a bunch of them together). These are just a few of the things I do with Ris, most of which I learned from my dog trainer or from books. Ris wasn't being the most cooperative while I was videoing us though.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a great video, Jamie!! THANK YOU so very much for doing that!! I tried it on Grimm, and he fell asleep.
Is that supposed to happen? Does it help calm Risa any? Wow.. Risa looks like she is saying "Mo-ommm! Quit messing with my WINGS!"

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Patti, when she is on the bed and we try to ingore her (shame on us) she will find one of our hands and do a head stand on our hand. When she wants her "rub" she wants her rub and do try to tell her any thing different.

That is great that Grimm fell asleep, it shows that he enjoyed the TTouches. Now you need to try to find something you can use when out on walks, you don't want to have Grimm falling alseep, just relaxing.

For the Ears I do like Jamie does only I add massaging the base before sliding out to the tip of he ear.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've never heard of Ttouch, what is it? Is it for training or bonding or what?

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Val, that is such a cute story!! I really do want so very, very badly to get the dog TTouch DVD. I know there are two or more, but the basic one for calming and bonding. I will need to wait until I can afford it. I really need it now.
If I were in the USA, I would ask my library to inter library loan it from another state if need be.. and get the DVD for free to watch. Can't do that in Germany.

BrenasMom, I think for calming and bonding wth the dog. It's a system of massage began, I think, with horses, that can be used on cats, dogs, etc.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Interesting...Brenna has a fear of strangers, would rubbing her ears like that possibly calm her down in stressful situations? She tends to panic and will be so focused on what she's scared of (usually men) and getting away from them that she will ignore commands, walk into things, and pull me around so hard it is painful holding onto the leash. When she isn't scared she only pulls if she sees a cat or something she wants to chase.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Ha ha ha. Her wings. LMAO.

Ris is a pest. Sometimes she just will not stay still and let me do it! I can usually do the ear stuff with no problems but the quarter circles. . .forget it. She'd rather leave. (No love for Mom.) I did the quarter circles on her two canine friends and they both LOVED it. Now if only I could get Risa to. . .

I've started trying to incorporate more slooooooooow massages with her to teach her to relax. Because, sometimes, I don't think she ever does.

Glad the videos were helpful.

**Edit to add** When we're out and she gets revved up, I will do a LOOOONG SLOOOOOOW stroke from between her ears all the way down her back to the base of her tail. Sometimes I do it to smooth her hackles (but they're not always up). This does seem to calm her down and get her less focused on whatever set her off.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Okay, since we're on the topic of TTouch and massage. . .what do you do when your dog just will not settle down? Sometimes I think Ris is incapable of just relaxing.

I took her on a walk today which ended up being a bit more stimulating than I'd've liked (she's a fearful/reactive dog). So, when I got her home, I took some time to just do some relaxing petting/TTouch/massage. But she didn't want to stay still! She kept rolling onto her back or pawing my hands or licking me or getting up and grabbing a toy to run around and play with. Is there anything I should do other than just keep trying?

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RISA'S GOT A NEW WEBSITE, Risa's got a new website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay.. got that out of my system... I checked her name link in your signature cos I wanted to check how old Ris was.
And I found her totally COOL new site!!
I am so jazzed!! Whoops.. said I got it outta my system.. okayyy...

I bet you probably have already consider this Jamie, but maybe Ris needs more free running time than she is currently getting. You are so involved with her, you guys do so many cool activities together! But maybe she has enough pointer or GSD in her that she needs to blast off all her energy more than the current running she may be doing? Just a thought. It sounds so basic, but, Grimm is very "Who's that? What's that? I wanna go see and sniff it ALL!" before he's been run HARD for 15 mins in a fenced tenniscourt. When we get home after the hard free running, he is wonderfully boneless & bloblike under petting for the rest of the day.. but before the run, he is very zesty. Could Risa need more free running time? Is there a tenniscourt, basketball court, etc that she could run free in after thrown rubber balls-on-elasticrope?

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Ha ha. Ris' website hasn't been updated in a while. I need to fix that.

I would LOVE to be able to just let Risa go and run. Honestly. Just watching her speed around like her tail's on fire brings a smile to my face (and hers as well). Unfortunately, she rarely gets the opportunity to do so. The courtyard at our apartment complex isn't fenced in. Parks around here are NOT dog friendly at all. You can be fined just for letting your dog walk on the grass in one of the parks as you pass by on the sidewalk--no joke. So any tennis courts, baseball diamonds, etc. are off limits. The only place I usually get to let her run free is the dog park. But I don't like bringing her there. It's usually empty but sometimes there are other dogs there which doesn't always go so well.

I do let her race down the hallway like a speeding bullet sometimes, but that's usually it. Plus with her recent back issues, I've been trying to have her take it easy and not run full blast.

She could certainly use more exercise than I'm usually able to give her. If we had a backyard, things would be easier. I could certainly spare 15 minutes here or there to throw a ball for her or what have you. I can't wait til we move and get a house. Apartment living is stressful on both of us.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm with you. Apartment living is tough on dogs and owners alike-- we have to find creative ways to tire the dogs out.
I will never be able to have a house, but, Ulrich and I are planning to move next year to a heavily forrested area so Grimm can have regular daily off-lead zooming opportunities, thundering up and down trails. I hope we never meet any people in the woods.. they will think he is a wolf. (shocking fact: sables are not usually recognized by German people as GSDs!)

I am sorry Ris is having issues with her back. I really hope it is nothing serious and clears up soon.

What about when she is feeling better, going to a BIG TALL building-- and doing the stairs with her? I live on the 12th floor, and on weekends we can't use the tennis court, so we sometimes do the stairs. It isn't easy, we take it slow, we take a break if need be, but it is good for burning off energy. Just an idea!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have been doing TTouch for a few months now and definitely see a difference in my dog. I think you really need to watch the video. And if you look on Amazon you can find some really cheap prices on older VHS recordings.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I hope you're able to move there, Patti. Sound like it'd be a great place for Grimm!

Ris has chronic back issues, unfortunately. We've been seeing a chiropractor and getting adjustments done but so far it hasn't worked long term. It sucks.

I do sometimes play fetch with her in the apartment. It's a bit limited but it is better than nothing. I used to play with her in the courtyard with her on a longline before her back started really bothering her. As for stairs, we live on the 3rd floor and go up and down the stairs at least four times a day so she gets quite a bit of exercise with that too. Though coming up the stairs does bother her back.

I hope no one thinks Ris is constantly bouncing off walls. That's not the case.
She does nap and sleep. But it just seems sometimes she just doesn't relax when she could. She does enjoy cuddling and petting, but a lot of the time she'll accept it for a while and then leaves.

I think I have a friend who has the TTouch video. I will see if she'll loan it to me. If not, then I'll just buy it.
Reactive Risa needs to learn how to relax!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jamie, I bet they're a gazillion miles away from you, but maybe they can refer you to someone truly affordable who could try acupuncture with Ris-- if you maybe are interested? SOME acupuncture vets can make the session addressing both back problems as well as anxiety issues.
They are in MT and are called Calm AnimalCare.
http://www.calmanimalcare.com/

Also, there's one in Billings:
Circle of Life Animal Wellness Center, Jean Allbright DVM

And, one in Kila, but I like the vet's name:
Barbara Calm, DVM, she is IVAS certified.

In Great Falls:
Rod Meier DVM

Because I don't know if it's allowed in this forum to post emails and phone that are not my own, here's where the contact info is for all of the above, if you're interested:

http://www.ivas.org/members_search2_pub.cfm

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Dr. Allbright is Ris' chiropractic vet.
She also does acupuncture but is hesitant to do it with Risa since Ris is a bit of a nervous wreck at the vet. She's getting better about being relaxed there but Dr. Allbright is afraid if she accidentally pricks Ris during the acupuncture that Ris won't be receptive to anything else that visit.
We did do some infared acupuncture on Ris at her last visit instead.

Apparently Kila, MT is about 7 hours away. That's a bit too long of a drive for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts