Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
It may come to that soon! Lol.
Not for a million dollars.
But seriously, I think the breeder erred, and possible failed to provide support and guidance. I think the OP got caught in an awful position and I just think we should be aware of that when providing guidance. As someone who euthanized a young dog following a vicious attack on a passerby, I can tell you that it is life changing. In my case there was no breeder and no good option but the end result is the same and I still have to live with all the what ifs.
I am simply suggesting that the OP deserves compassion, not condemnation.

Seriously though, you must feel terrible about this and I'm sorry for your loss.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ I offered compassion on first page lol

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just read through this thread. OP, I'm sorry you and your mother had to endure the unfortunate incident and your dog had to be put down. I hope your mother is doing okay now.

I'm just curious, was that the 1st time your mother was petting him from that particular position? If it wasn't, and he just snapped, then I'm inclined to say that the dog wasn't wired correctly.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The damage that he's done, to a person who trained and cared for him, was near fatal. I completely agree (I think @Sabis mom mentioned it) that regardless if there had been signs or not, a pet dog should NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES inflict that kind of damage to his caretaker.

Even if you had chosen to return him to the breeder, I don't think the dog would have had a full life due to the fact that it had been proven of the damage it could do to his non-abusive, loving caretaker who has knowledge of training dogs.

In the end, my opinion is that you did the right thing.

·
Banned
43 Posts
The damage that he's done, to a person who trained and cared for him, was near fatal. I completely agree (I think @Sabis mom mentioned it) that regardless if there had been signs or not, a pet dog should NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES inflict that kind of damage to his caretaker.

Even if you had chosen to return him to the breeder, I don't think the dog would have had a full life due to the fact that it had been proven of the damage it could do to his non-abusive, loving caretaker who has knowledge of training dogs.

In the end, my opinion is that you did the right thing.
I have in my class a girl with an awesome GSD. Great dog!!! When she handles, him he wants to kill everyone - when I handle it he is like a loving lamb with me and others. The question I would ask is:" How come that in some hands the dog will be aggressive and in hands of others, the same dog will not be aggressive? Explain that!!! Genetics? I call bull pucky on that one. Genetics view on an overly aggressive or overly protective dog is only partially true. Genetics are only generating predisposition to a certain behavior. and not the behavior itself. That is predisposed by the relationship between the handler and the dog. Genetics are like a foundation for the house. You can build a house on almost any ground, if you know what you are doing, that is. I have a degree in engineering geology so you can take my word for it. It is the same with dog training. If from the pup or the dog is handled and trained correctly, then there is no problem with 99% of dogs. If handled incorrectly then you can turn the most loving Labrador int Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est.
- Hans Alpine K9

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.