German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So I am going to be starting Samson on RAW diet very soon. I even found a local yahoo group that orders in bulk for better prices. They have some orders now for Red Rock Raw patties(I think) and then normal chicken(all cuts) and beef and pork (most cuts I think). So I thought starting Samson on chicken would be a good start. What do you think are the best cuts just to start out with? He is 8 weeks. I know it is 2-3% of ideal body weight, which should be 90 lbs. I have read and decided to to 50%RBM 45%MM and 5% OM(but no OM on first week). I am open to suggestions as I am very new to this and just learning. What will his little teeth do the best with? Thanks and any help will be greatly appreciated.:help:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Chicken necks for bone. Hand feed it, because you don't want him to wolf it down. Fiona eats all cuts of the chicken. He is too little for wings now. I would pull the meat off the bones for him. Not sure he can handle the big drumstick bone or thigh bone yet. If you have a meat grinder, you can grind the bone into the meat. Otherwise, grind (food processer) egg shells for calcium. Fiona eats pork, but add it in last, because it might be too rich for him.
Fiona has gotten finicky and I have to now cook her chicken and pull the meat off the bone. Never ever give a cooked bone.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
ask the source, they probably know best. My girl came weaned on raw and since then its mostly drums or 1/4s organs mixed in on occasion.Some taco meat unseasoned, and I cheat the raw diet by using pumpkin, yogurt, egg, and a flaxseed based supplement package which is the same as the last 20 ingredients as most 5 star dog foods. Also whole ground baby cow but that may have made her sick last time so I cant reccomend it until a couple more feedings.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I feed whole chickens cut up to my puppies by 7 weeks. I crush the larger bones a bit with my knife (don't chop through, but break them up). IMO puppies don't need necks which tend to be too bony just like wings. I feed both as part of the whole when feeding a cut up whole chicken.

Pork, lamb and beef bones are going to be too hard at this point as is turkey though I do feed the small ends of turkey necks chopped up like I do the heavier chicken bones. I will give the pups bones from the larger animals to chew on for the meat, but don't expect much for quite awhile. You could also look into duck. Also eggs from free range chickens are good, some organic yogurt, a little salmon oil, heart and tripe. Obviously take time to introduce things.

Volcano, Flax is not species appropriate and can cause allergic reactions in many dogs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vet did not approve

Thanks for all the advise. I took Samson to the vet today for his well puppy check. He told me( first time I have seen him) NOT to feed the raw diet bc he has had many dogs die from food poisoning and they could have ecoli in their poop and could get my girls sick. Now, my girls do not play in Samsons potty area but, is it true that he could get food poisoning? I just want what is best for Samson and I thought the raw diet would be that. I was thinking of getting some chicken wings and run them through my meat grinder and add some chick thigh meat or breast meat. Thoughts? Can someone tell me what are the real risk of this diet? I know that dog food has risk as well, so I want to way the options. :confused: Thanks.

Lindsay

·
Registered
75 Posts
My dog Axel is 12 weeks old and has been on the raw diet for 4 weeks now. I am lucky to have a holistic veterinarian close by and he of course is pro-raw. He recommended 4% of current body weight. We started with ground chicken for breakfast and lunch then ground chicken necks for dinner. He gets veggies and either oats or rice mixed in. I add 2 ounces of organ meat to his lunch daily. Also gets 1/2 teaspoon cod liver oil and supplements prescribed by the vet to ensure his diet is balanced.

Everything I've heard/read states you should let them get used to one type of meat then introduce others.

He is 12 weeks old and looks amazing. We go back to the vet this week for shots and a weigh in, but guessing he's 30+ lbs and totally lean.

It's a bit of work initially but once you get a routine/process in place it's much easier and I'm happy to be able to do this for my puppy. He is spoiled!

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
There are risks in everything we do, but most vets are pretty clueless about feeding, period, let alone having good knowledge about raw. I have fed raw for over 14 years, raised a number of puppies to adult and weaned 5 litters to raw. I have never had a dog get ecoli, salmonella, or get sick from their diet. My dogs enjoy eating some rather gross things since I have owned different types of livestock and poultry over the years. If they were going to get sick, it would more likely be from those sources than from the raw diet I feed them.

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
Thanks for all the advise. I took Samson to the vet today for his well puppy check. He told me( first time I have seen him) NOT to feed the raw diet bc he has had many dogs die from food poisoning and they could have ecoli in their poop
Lindsay
This is so ridiculous. Maybe he should talk to my vet, who thinks raw is a great idea.
Pick up the poop, just as you would pick up and dispose of it if he were eating kibble. Any kind of of waste is loaded with bacteria.

Seriously, does the vet think that you let your children handle and play with dog poo?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was my point I take samson to one spot thats not in our back yard bc I didnt want him to get used to using bathroom where they play. I pick up his poop imediantly. I am looking into a holistic vet nearby. Im still kinda lost into what I need to start with, everybody has such different opinions. I need to just do it and I know I would get the hang of it, but Im so worried about feeding the wrong thing.

I

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts