German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here.I am from calgary and have been researching local breeders for a puppy.I want to show with my 2 children.I have now located a girl in New York .the lady seems very easy going and professional and very willing to impart her knowledge.I tried to do the same with a kennel here.I believe she calls herself mysticsands.does anybody recognize her kennel name?her first name is tammy.does anybody have any dealings with her?i believe she co owns with maxcell kennels.anyways the reason is the way she comes at you after inquiring for a puppy.curious if anybody else has dealt with her?

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE from local breeder after asking about her health and why she does not have her hips scores listed.I also said that papers or lineage came last when It came to temperment and health in my list of importance.this is how she replied-

"Are you looking for a puppy or just thinking you know what you are talking about?

I OFA or OVC. No one I know in any breed, and this includes top breeders in their breed use Penn Hip. I won't waste my time as no one I deal with recognize it.

Well in 20 years I've never had eye, cardio(not even a puppy heart murmur) or thyroid. No EPI ! No DM! My dogs average 12 years.

My dogs are known for their temperaments!!! I do a lot of work for the 8 weeks I have the puppy! I give the puppy buyer all the potential they have to continue with the solid foundation I give them!

Sorry to break it to you! Without papers none of what you are after in a puppy exisits!"

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi i just looked at the links you sent.I enjoyed seeing dogs with a more even topline and stronger hocks.I am willing to have a puppy shipped from New york if that is what it takes to get a sound safe dog.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Wow... I'd RUN away from this breeder.

I noticed you said you are in Calgary (Canada?) so I was just curious why you are interested in USA breeders?

I know of a couple of show kennels in Canada that you can contact if you like, I believe they would have what you are looking for inregards to temperament, health, structure, etc..

Let me know if you are interested. :)

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
With show breedings, there will be often be pups with a more even topline and less angulation. Many times, more of those type puppies than not.

They are not necessarily the ones chosen to show though. If you plan to show your dog, it will be important to chose the type in such as a manner as to have a show quality dog.

Are you looking for a conformation dog? A primarily performance dog? From what lines were you looking to purchase... american show, german show, german working?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I would look for a breeder closer to you that can also mentor you if showing your dog is what you want to do. Since Elizabeth is in your neck of the woods, maybe she can refer you to someone local.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Ok, i checked out both websites, if you want to get into conformation, I think either of those kennels would fit the bill. Maxcell clearly states they ofa their dogs.

Both have been in it a long time and have alot of titles on their dogs.

As for the rude/abrupt response you got, we are only seeing a response not what you emailed them:)) Not saying you deserve that response, but sometimes the internet is so much more impersonal than a telephone conversation.

I would not rule out either one of those breeders since they are both in your area.

Since it doesn't sound like you know to much about the conformation ring, it would be a good idea to get in good with someone who DOES know the conformation ring and could mentor you..And let me tell ya, it ain't all sunshine and roses:)))

Good luck
Diane

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have no idea.that was the best part of her email to me.kinda took me off gaurd the way she responded.she got really snarky and said she already dissed me as a potential buyer.and then it disintigrated from there.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,I tried some of the local and found that their type was not really my type.I want an all round gsd with great temperment,health and yes looks are not too bad either.I tried a few local breeders and yes I got a couple of really rude ones that scared me off.seriously,my first email to her asked how her health and hips,elbows ect were as she did not list them on her site and in her ad she placed she put alot of emphasis on CkC reg' and lineage but not one word about testing.so I asked her about it and that was it.she then sent an email back saying she'd tossed me as a potential puppy buyer and she could not take me seriously ect,ect and yes it got ruder and ruder.and thats just asking about health.like i said it was alot to digest.i told her so in the return email that i found her attitude rude and obnoxious.and not to worry about me being a potential buyer.she kinda took care of that right away.
so,back to where I left off,I have sheep and children and other livestock and I want a gsd thats functional and safe plus be the beautiful dog it was.I honestly hated seeing them with the extreme roached backs and hocks that cannot even support the dog in agility trials,foul temperments.I like seeing straight toplines,strength in the hind quarters and having a gsd the way the founder meant them to be.take the good and do away with the bad.the kennel in new york has a male from scotland on loan and he caught my eye.she has a litter from him right now.so yes I'm willing to go the little bit extra to get a good dog if I have to.I just have not seen that around here unfortunately.I should also mention the lady from new york was amazing in her hospitality.I mean she really went out on a limb to make things work for me,she imparted her knowledge,she really made things easier for me to get a beautiful pup.she responded quickly,she put up with my many,many questions.just a great overall experience. thats what I was expecting with the breeders here.I hate to say it but they made me feel like I was 2 feet tall and they came across with an over blown conceit.I'm not saying all breeders here just a couple mind you.But honestly,the breeder in new york decided it for me just by having an amazing attitude.her attitude sold me on her pups.and yes I really like her style too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this may sound crazy but i want to have a gsd that does it all.and why not?thats what my goal is.to be safe,sound,looks.i want to show and do agility,be a functional herding dog(its what they were originally for)I have sheep so I will try it first hand.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i posted to koda already but i'll tell you straight out.i would rather travel hundreds or even thousands of miles for the right dog than go nowhere for the wrong one or i guess the wrong breeder.I mean you will have to deal with this person for a loooong time.the breeder in new york decided it for me with her amazing attitude.she sold me completely with the way she treated me.she also has beautiful dogs too!she has a stud in from scotland that I just really liked.he has the most beautiful expression and he has a strong topline and body type.where as the couple of breeders from around here,yes,pretty nice dogs but I was so insulted by the way one of them came at me,she was rude,obnoxious,pretty much called me a liar,that she thought I was fishing for something then said she thought i was never really intrested in getting a puppy and on and on.i mean she went off the handle .strange women..soooo,i started looking else where.I have a female pup arriving tonight from new york and am soooooo excited!she was first pick of the litter and she will be my intended show girl plus she will be working with the sheep.i would love to post pics when she is working.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I couldn't find anything specific on that breeder, but on ALL breeders the following site helps us learn what to look for and ask:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/137533-things-look-responsible-breeder.html

ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a huge help if you can go up into the User CP and add your GENERAL location. Cause if you live near Port Jervis, NY you are close to me...........but if in Albany, way far. And for future posts with members here all over the world it's a huge help.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I saw a Maxcell dog last weekend. Alice Cooper was at the Saskatoon K&OC show. He is not a bad looking dog. He took a group 4th on Sunday and Monday.

If you are looking to show I would do what I am doing looking for Rott breeders. Go to shows and find them when they are not busy. I've met some awesome people in the last two shows (since really starting to look hard at breeders) and met some really awesome dogs. I'm planning on another one next week and praying I have the days off to be in Brandon in Nov.

The internet is fine for verifying OFA/OVC/CERF but it does nothing for getting a feel for the dogs themselves or meeting the people in person.

So check out Canuckdogs.com. Go to the shows, there are several in southern AB in the next few months. Camrose-Oct 22-24; Red Deer-Nov 5-7; Lethbridge-Nov 19-20; Calgary-Nov 26-28. AB has an awesome show circuit. Get a catalogue and talk the owners and breeders there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In the end the most important thing is that you are comfortable with your choices. I personally know Tammy, and she has handled my girl Kenna for me a few times. I have never had any deelings with her as a breeder, just handler. Leslie`s boy Cooper is lovely, beautifully tempered dog. My two have come from alberta breeders, female from Edale kennels (around Tofield) and male from Sunflower Kennels (in Edmonton).

I did read that you already decided and I hope your puppy works out. If you are looking for someone to talk with, I would whole heartly recommend Lonna from Sunflower Kennels (doesn`t matter what style GSD you prefer, she isn`t snobby). She loves to talk GSDs

krisk
Kenna - BIM Edale`s Wild Thyme OFA,OVC (Ch pt`d)
Connor - Sunflower`s Immortal of Dilquin OFA
rainbowbridge
Kris - BPIS,Multi Group Winner Ch.Sunflower`s Kissin Kris CD,TC,HIC,OFA

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a bunch for all the amazing feed back.i its nice to see helpful and open responses to my posts and it will be intresting to see how the show circle pans out.my little female is coming along wonderfully and is a doll of the first order.just have to figure out how to post pics hhhmmmm............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts