German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience dealing with this company on a claim?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry, no - I went with VPI just based on reviews, but it was close between Trupanion & VPI. I have yet to make a claim, too, so don't really know. Do you already have coverage?
p.s. hope your Shasta is feeling better every day!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shasta is feeling great! Lively and getting in trouble.

No, unfortunately we don't have coverage. What we've paid out for this illness probably would have paid the premiums on a policy for 4 years. :(

·
Registered
5,616 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
based on what i read i personally would go with trupanion. unfortunately my husband doesnt believe in pet insurance. You should have seen the look of disgust on his face when i showed him the quote for the 3 dogs.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I just did a quote on Trupanion's website. It specifically states that Hip Dysplasia is *NOT* covered unless the policy is started prior to the dog's first birthday, and the optional coverage is selected. [EDIT- Petplan *does* cover hereditary issues such as HD]

So between VPI (who seems to have terrible reviews), Trupanion, or Petplan- if your dog is >1 yr old and has even the slightest chance of HD (come on- it's a GSD!) then IMHO, Petplan seems the way to go. That is what I am currently looking into, but have not yet pulled the trigger. It should be noted that Petplan will only reimburse 70% of an emergency (or specialty) clinic visit, no matter what plan you choose. See the last comment here.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just did a quote on Trupanion's website. It specifically states that Hip Dysplasia is *NOT* covered unless the policy is started prior to the dog's first birthday, and the optional coverage is selected. [EDIT- Petplan *does* cover hereditary issues such as HD]

So between VPI (who seems to have terrible reviews), Trupanion, or Petplan- if your dog is >1 yr old and has even the slightest chance of HD (come on- it's a GSD!) then IMHO, Petplan seems the way to go. That is what I am currently looking into, but have not yet pulled the trigger. It should be noted that Petplan will only reimburse 70% of an emergency (or specialty) clinic visit, no matter what plan you choose. See the last comment here.
I had noticed that about the hip dysplasia coverage. My dog is still under 1 year old and it seems like I would get slightly better coverage with trupanion than PetPlan for slightly smaller premiums, even including the HD endorsement. That's why I was wondering about how easy they are to work with. At this point, I've narrowed it down to trupanion or PetPlan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts