German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is close to 7 months so I'm not sure if he's too young to tell yet whether he's a true long coat or not. In the scheme of things it doesn't really matter, I'm mostly just curious. :)

He has no undercoat and his coat is super fine and silky soft, I think his adult coat is still coming in but I'm not 100% positive because I no longer see the fuzzy puppy stuff anymore.

Thoughts?

Best pic I've got at the moment for showing his coat

Untitled (2013-03-22 01:24:28) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Ollie's coat reminds me a lot of what Bear's coat looked like at that age. I wondered the same thing about not having an undercoat.
Bear's undercoat was just a little fluff underneath with a very fine silky topcoat.
His coat has changed a lot from about 10 months to 12 months and even still it's changing in color. Bear's coat is still silky with not much of an undercoat, not a full thick coat like you see on Berlin and Odita. Here's a couple of pics from when Bear was Ollie's age

View attachment 49170

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow they look a lot alike. :)

Ollie doesn't have any undercoat what so ever but I wasn't sure if there's a certain age it comes in. Hard to describe but you can kind of see Bear's fur looks a little but thicker especially on his chest but Ollie's is really thin all over.

Really I have no clue lol but loved seeing more Bear pics, hardly ever see any!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
What do you get when you brush your dog with a rake or a slicker? Does any fur come out?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you get when you brush your dog with a rake or a slicker? Does any fur come out?
Barely anything now that his puppy coat is almost gone... I brushed him yesterday and was shocked at how empty the brush was, complete opposite of our last GSD.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I know, I don't ever really take nice pictures with a "real" camera. I really need to take more of Bear. You take really nice pictures of Ollie, he really does remind me of Bear only a bit darker.

I think you will find Ollie's coat will change a lot in the next several months, as I said Bear's is still changing a bit. I will say I love Bear's coat, it's very soft and shiny and when I brush it I barely get a brush full.

Bear will be 18 months soon, I think we'll celebrate by getting some nice pics of him :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Barely anything now that his puppy coat is almost gone... I brushed him yesterday and was shocked at how empty the brush was, complete opposite of our last GSD.
I will say I love Bear's coat, it's very soft and shiny and when I brush it I barely get a brush full.

Bear will be 18 months soon, I think we'll celebrate by getting some nice pics of him :)
HAHA! :wild: You guys are lucky over there! I brush Berlin a few times a week and the slicker brush is usually full. Someone is getting ready to blow his coat because there is HAIR EVERYWHERE! My bed, my scrubs, my mouth, his crate, the carpet LOL. I dont mind though.

My other dog is worse when she blows her coat. You literally can pull tufts of fur off her. :eek:

Tory, I cant wait to see updated pictures of Bear! :D

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Katie, it's so weird when I brush Bear, I barely get any hair at all.
I can't use a rake on him because his hair is so fine. I use a regular bristle brush for the topcoat and a pin brush for his (barely there) undercoat.

I kinda wish he had that massive thick coat like Berlin and Odita.
Carrie, what kind of brush do you use on Ollie?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Katie, it's so weird when I brush Bear, I barely get any hair at all.
I can't use a rake on him because his hair is so fine. I use a regular bristle brush for the topcoat and a pin brush for his (barely there) undercoat.

I kinda wish he had that massive thick coat like Berlin and Odita.
Carrie, what kind of brush do you use on Ollie?
You sure about that? :D His butt fluffs are SO THICK, I cannot even see skin even when I try to look for it. LOL. Im scared for when he does blow his coat, his undercoat is thick right now - but its been really cold here. Berlin only has super soft fur on his face - his body its more sleek, but coarse, and at the base of his tail, its super coarse! Constantly changing though, so who knows. Wierd that Bear has such silky think fur. Never would have guessed!

Odita's coat is so beautiful, oh my, i'd be so happy if Berlins ended up looking like hers. :wub:

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is Bear a true long coat or just... less coatie? :p

I have a slicker brush but I've also used a furminator a few times, the only thing that came out on that was puppy coat when he was blowing it.

My last GSD oh boy, you could just pull the fur right out... The amount of hair that dog produced was incredible. I used to vacuum her, she loved it lol.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Annie was born in October so her first winter she still had a puppy coat. Second winter she had some undercoat, not much down her back. By the third winter it all showed up. :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Is Bear a true long coat or just... less coatie? :p

I have a slicker brush but I've also used a furminator a few times, the only thing that came out on that was puppy coat when he was blowing it.

My last GSD oh boy, you could just pull the fur right out... The amount of hair that dog produced was incredible. I used to vacuum her, she loved it lol.
Bear does have an undercoat, it's just not as full as some.
The hair going down his back is a little more coarse but on his sides it's very silky and soft.
Looking at pictures of Rocket, I think Ollie's coat will look like his, which I would take any day. Rocket's a gorgeous dog!

My last girl was a stock coat and I could fill bags of her fur when I brushed her, so I'll take Bear's coat any day :p

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Annie was born in October so her first winter she still had a puppy coat. Second winter she had some undercoat, not much down her back. By the third winter it all showed up. :)
Wow, it can take that long? I'm not sure I have the patience to wait, lol! What if you live in a place with no winter? ;) :D

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
To me... a long-coat is a long-coat:) and your gorgeous puppy is.

The lack of an undercoat is something both short and long coats can be affected by.
I had a short coat with no undercoat (someone told me the term was "mole" coat). She was a daughter of Pirol van't Enclavehof. Odd looking dog with no undercoat, and she got cold and would shiver. She still shed long hairs, just none of the fuzzies.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To me... a long-coat is a long-coat:) and your gorgeous puppy is.

The lack of an undercoat is something both short and long coats can be affected by.
I had a short coat with no undercoat (someone told me the term was "mole" coat). She was a daughter of Pirol van't Enclavehof. Odd looking dog with no undercoat, and she got cold and would shiver. She still shed long hairs, just none of the fuzzies.
True! I was just curious because his coat is so thin compared to other long coats I've seen that are well... FLUFFY. I think he's gorgeous the way he is and if he never grows an undercoat I'm fine with that plus we live in a moderately warm climate that stays in the 60-70's all year round so doubt the shivering would be an issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts