German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, everyone! I am currently looking at adding a second dog to the household. I currently have a West German Showline, Wolf, who many of you have seen. We are very active in scent work, detection, rally, etc.

A few months ago, my 10 year old working line female passed away due to complications from Inflammatory Bowel Disease. She was diagnosed at a year old and the disease was with her for life, flaring up here and there. It finally got the better of her in her senior years. She was a wonderful dog, We did some basic IPO, and she was a phenom in OB. She was also my marathon training partner and regularly ran 10+ mile runs with me during my training seasons.

While Wolf, my WGSL is absolutely my heart dog, I really miss having a working line in the house, and thus have been talking to several breeders.

I recently spoke with Cindy at True Haus as well as some of her clients and have been very impressed. I really like what her clients have to say about how they match you with the right pup, and she obviously knows her dogs well. I want a dog that has good toy drive, hunt drive, defensive drive and enough aggression and confidence to do IPO and/or PSA or WDA. That said, it is very important that the dog do well in the house, has a good off switch and can "chill" after work. I also want a versatile dog that can do scent sports, maybe some dock diving and competitive OB like I'm doing with Wolf. Also, a dog that can be active with me in hiking and running. I am also terrified to getting another dog with a lifelong genetic disease and watching them suffer and get sick, like I did with Mac. I have always heard great things about True Haus, so I'm not really concerned about that, but that fear I think will always be with me.

Cindy has some upcoming litters that look like they can fit what I want, but I'd like to hear from some of her clients here about their dogs. Any True Haus clients around and can you attest to what I'm searching for?

Thanks for the time, all!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumping. Any input from anyone is welcome.

:)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should pm mycobrarcr as I don't think he checks the forum much.
I literally just did that. Someone PMed me and said the same thing. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here’s a link to mycobraracer kennel for another method of contact.
Home
Thanks! Reached out. Hopefully they respond. I've seen and heard nothing but good things about True Haus, but I still like to chat and get feedback from a large group. :)

Reactions: Nigel

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
They have excellent dogs in my opinion, especially for home like yours where the dog’s abilities will be tapped into.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
I maybe wrong but I feel that when someone asks feedback about a certain breeders, the positive feedback goes onto the forum while the negative feedback will be directed to PMs or is this the wrong conclusion?

·
Super Moderator
7,622 Posts
I maybe wrong but I feel that when someone asks feedback about a certain breeders, the positive feedback goes onto the forum while the negative feedback will be directed to PMs or is this the wrong conclusion?
You are correct and there is a reason for that.It results in a multitude of problems.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has she started testing the parents for DM? Something I considered when I spoke to her 3+ years ago. I've met a couple dogs she's produced, nice dogs.
It's on my list of things to discuss. I know for the breedings I am interested in, you can clear some of the dogs through parentage and there isn't a risk of carriers being bred. That said, it's a subject I want to talk to her about.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a policy on the form. I will say, no one has PMed me any negative feedback.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Hi, I worked with True Haus for a few years. These days I don’t really know their dogs other than seeing them in a trial here and there. Jim and Cindy have always treated me well, and supported me in my adventures. We have a good working relationship, so I’ll leave it at that. Unfortunately, like I said I don’t know majority of their current dogs and haven’t looked at what litters they have.

As for them testing for DM. I know they have in the past at least on some of their dogs. They may not have it advertised, but they may have had the test done. So I’d ask about the particular litter you’re looking at.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help. If you can, go see them in person. They are very hospitable, and Cindy is great at answering your questions.

·
Super Moderator
9,098 Posts
Has anyone asked or know the reason behind their pricing? Sables one price, bi color and solid blacks another. On the surface it’s a turn off.... so I’m curious to get more info.

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, I worked with True Haus for a few years. These days I don’t really know their dogs other than seeing them in a trial here and there. Jim and Cindy have always treated me well, and supported me in my adventures. We have a good working relationship, so I’ll leave it at that. Unfortunately, like I said I don’t know majority of their current dogs and haven’t looked at what litters they have.

As for them testing for DM. I know they have in the past at least on some of their dogs. They may not have it advertised, but they may have had the test done. So I’d ask about the particular litter you’re looking at.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help. If you can, go see them in person. They are very hospitable, and Cindy is great at answering your questions.
Thanks for the feedback! I've been able to see several dogs recently at clubs and trials, which was why I contacted them. I'm actually going out to our PSA club tomorrow morning and there is a True Haus dog there, so I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Cindy has been fantastic to talk to, and I really like her, and sometimes I feel like that's half the battle.

Reactions: Nigel

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone asked or know the reason behind their pricing? Sables one price, bi color and solid blacks another. On the surface it’s a turn off.... so I’m curious to get more info.
It's just a decision they made. Normally that's a red flag for me, but I don't see any other of the normal red flags that go along with pricing red flags. I've seen several of their dogs work, spoken to clients who work and compete with dogs, etc. They're legit in that regard. So, while it would normally be a red flag, here I can kind of let it go as long as everything else checks out.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
There's no reason to price a dog based on color.... color does not affect the genetics, temperament, working ability, structure of the dog.... one thing that would be a sure reject for me would be is they had off colors that are not in the breed standard, though that doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's no reason to price a dog based on color.... color does not affect the genetics, temperament, working ability, structure of the dog.... one thing that would be a sure reject for me would be is they had off colors that are not in the breed standard, though that doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.
I agree there's no reason to. That said, they're definitely not an off color breeder and are a solid working kennel. I like what I've seen of the offspring I've been able to meet, and from talking to their clients. Like I said, if everything checks out it's something I can get past. I do know they produce black sables, which everyone wants, so that could be a reason.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
It's just a decision they made. Normally that's a red flag for me, but I don't see any other of the normal red flags that go along with pricing red flags. I've seen several of their dogs work, spoken to clients who work and compete with dogs, etc. They're legit in that regard. So, while it would normally be a red flag, here I can kind of let it go as long as everything else checks out.

How does different pricing based on color affect the quality of the litter? I don’t understand the actual red flag?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts