Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We are in the beginning stages of looking for a GSD for our family. We currently have two older dogs (both 12, 1 lab mix , 1 shepherd mix) who we are enjoying and we will not get a puppy until they have both moved on. I do want a puppy quickly after they are gone though and want to be prepared. We are a family of 5, with three young boys (6, 2.5, and 5 months). We live in the Mtns of Nor Cal (Burney) on several acres that back up to 10's of thousands of acres of forest. My wife is a stay-at-home mom (who does some work from home during the evenings) and I am a school teacher.

We are looking for a family companion first, but I am very active outdoors as I am sure my boys will be. I hike a lot, backpack, hunt, and Mt. Bike. I am also interested in obedience training (CGC), tracking, and possibly SAR. Our new pup will be inside with us most of the time and will have an inside/outside kennel off our detached garage.

I want a dog similar but better trained (my fault) and less skittish/shy than my last GSD/mix, Kaya. Kaya passed away 2 years ago after a year long battle with cancer. I got her from an animal shelter when she was 8 weeks and she was 11 when she passed. Kaya went everywhere with me, especially in the woods.

I want a dog that can keep up with me, but at the same time be a fine family pet. I do not want a super high drive dog that will go nuts if it misses a daily hike or is unable to come with us on a trip. A dog with a medium drive that has an off switch would do great.

With that long book off my chest, I have been looking at different breeders. I really enjoy the looks of the dark sable dogs and have decided that I will look for a dog that fits my drive/temperament needs that will have a sable coat.

One breeder I am interested in is fairly close (1.5 hours) and I was wondering if anyone has heard of or dealt with them? They are True Haus Kennels out of Oroville, CA. German Shepherd Dog, True Haus Kennels

I will gladly take any advice on the type of dog (DDR right now) I should be looking at and any breeders that are with-in driving range (8 or so hours) of me.

thanks,

michael

·
Registered
261 Posts
Kim of Just K9s is also located in North California, she's very good about answering your questions and I like that she extensively health tests her dogs. Her dogs also produce dark sables. Her dog Rookie is gorgeous.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses.

Here is another Nor Cal breeder that was PM'd to me. Thought I would share it so everyone could see. Witmer-Tyson Imports - German Shepherds, Law Enforcement Training, and Equipment

I definitely want to do professional training with our pup. Is there any benefit or cons to having the breeder be my trainer as well (I plan on doing the training, not just having the dog trained)?

Also, I noticed that many of the breeders (including True Haus) have multiple litters per year (7-8). Is this too many and a sign of a puppy mill type operation?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I know a guy who trains Police K9's. He has a 6-7 month old dark sable from an F. Anrebri x Naspo litter. The dog is great but just isn't good enough for Police K9. Would be a great pet, family/personal protection dog. He trains him everyday.

I believe he works with Mike Diehl.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ace. thanks for the tip. We are a little bit out till we are ready for a new pup.

I did find another local (2.5 hr drive) breeder whom i'd like to check out -

Home Drescher Haus in Oroville, CA

anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I don't see anything I like about them. They have, it appears, decent dogs that they do no titling on. The one dam they saw got a late start in life so they aren't doing anything with her or titling her? Phooey. Elsa is 21/2 or 3 and is a rescue and is just getting started in SAR and SchH. No reason their "top bred" Czech girl can't either. And if she is too old for them to really test her nerves by competing, why are they breeding her?

ETA: I see their stud does have titles. I'd question why he does and not their females. Did they buy him with titles? Did they do it themselves?

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I don't know where to start. First, this kennel has some of the finest working lines in this country, imo. Second, All the females I see have BH titles to go along with SDA titles. This is a very good source of some very nice dogs. SDA tests the nerves of a German Shepherd in their advanced titles better than Sch, IMO. I also know Cindy's stock and I have the same lines in my kennel, and my club is an SDA club, so maybe I know a little about her dogs and their titles from first hand.
I would get a puppy from Cindy and True-haus in a heartbeat. Of course if you don't know SDA or have never seen a SDA trial or SDA titled dog.....Well???
It doesn't make me any difference where the OP get a dog from, but since he asked about True Haus, I would sugeest he/she go look at her dogs and come back and tell us what he finds. Then we can see which of the opposite opinions on this kennel is closest to the truth.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I'd still go to Descher -I'd want to see the black stallion-only I'd tell them I was there to see the dogs-can't afford a horse-

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't know where to start. First, this kennel has some of the finest working lines in this country, imo. Second, All the females I see have BH titles to go along with SDA titles. This is a very good source of some very nice dogs. SDA tests the nerves of a German Shepherd in their advanced titles better than Sch, IMO. I also know Cindy's stock and I have the same lines in my kennel, and my club is an SDA club, so maybe I know a little about her dogs and their titles from first hand.
I would get a puppy from Cindy and True-haus in a heartbeat. Of course if you don't know SDA or have never seen a SDA trial or SDA titled dog.....Well???
It doesn't make me any difference where the OP get a dog from, but since he asked about True Haus, I would sugeest he/she go look at her dogs and come back and tell us what he finds. Then we can see which of the opposite opinions on this kennel is closest to the truth.
I'm right along with Cliff, Cindy has some really nice dogs over at her place and feel you would be very happy with one of them!!

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Ok you are with Cliff-don't know the black stallions pedigree and I am missing my glasses-but that black stallion is beautiful-take a look

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I was talking about the second kennel he asked about. I don't see any titles on the females--is that where you were looking?? My computer is displaying their info weird--perhaps it's not showing up. But it doesn't look like the females are really being worked from the second kennel? Or are you just talking about True-haus?

The second one's stud is quite a looker...I didn't get that far originally and only took a brief look :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.