German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I've used a similar food temporarily -- Nulo's freeze dried raw food. It was priced similarly (around $30 for a 13 oz bag). I needed it when my allergy dog was recovering from major surgery and had a hospital stay that lasted several days at a place that wouldn't accept his raw food. Having shelf-stable nuggets that didn't freak out the staff ended up being incredibly useful to me during that difficult time -- he was willing to eat it during his stay, which is saying a lot for a dog that goes off his food easily when he feels like crap. When you're already looking at a vet bill that will be multiple thousands of dollars, buying a few bags of this stuff to give to the hospital just feels like more of the same!

Freeze dried nuggets are HIGHLY appetizing for convalescing dogs -- so it's a good style of food to keep in mind for short-term feeding if you have a sick one (esp. one with allergies that doesn't have many options) or one that's regularly raw fed and sometimes goes off its food.

Freeze dried is always expensive because so much meat is condensed inside it -- and the process itself is expensive (same reason freeze-dried fruit for humans is a lot of dollars for a little-bitty packet). Feeding it regularly to a big dog would be outrageously expensive -- at that point, you ought to be looking at Ziwi Peak instead (also dried-raw, but a jerky style air-dried food) or its competitors (like Only Natural Pet's Max Meat), as there's more bang for the buck...which is a weird thing to say about jerky-style food, as it's very expensive too.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All great information thanks! Thanks for naming some alternate options. I haven't bought any of the food yet, just a few bags of the food "toppers". Think it was called Boostme. Ya, I looked at the food and it said 14oz. That's not even a lb.! But like someone mentioned, it's a lot of condensed freeze dried meat.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Boostme food toppers came in the mail. I let Mei open the box and she loved doing that!

I put 2 tbsp on top of her food and she loved it. Haven't seen her finish off her bowl this quick since she used to inhale it as a small puppy! I'll probably do 4 tbsp a day, 2 at each meal. We'll see how long these little bags will last.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts