German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to get a handle on this escalating habit. My 2 yr. old rescue has decided she loves acting

out at other dogs while she's riding around in the truck cab in town. Nothing has worked to

curb this so far. My adult son takes her out walking and hiking around town and her dog aggression

has not abated at all. He just reverses her to remove the threat. Now she's decided to pull

this wild, barking while in the truck. It can be a 3 lb. Yorkie or a full sized dog, doesn't matter.

It's like a game to Heidi. How do you control or change this behavior while riding in the truck?

Her on farm behavior has improved a lot with the cats, horses and when my son visits with his

his 2 elderly Husky dogs, she's fine. But they were slowly introduced.

Heidi is very smart. Very clever. But has an obstinate mind of her own at times. I call it her

wild dog, feral behavior coming out. I'm just hoping to modify her social skills in town. She's

great with all people, it's just strange dogs that are the problem. HELP!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand how a crate will correct this. I remember seeing a local K-9 Police Dog who was kept in the back

of a patrol car while out on patrol. When they'd pass me and my 2 Bichons on the street, the police dog went wild

barking aggressively at my 2 little foo-foos. The police office yelled and yelled at the dog to no avail. I thought at

the time, they need to re-train that police dog. HAH, here I am, same problem.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
They usually are in an insert that allows them to still see out of the windows.
A crate will prevent them from getting up to the windows.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Depending on the crate, you can have less visibility in the car. I have Ruff Tough Kennels in my car. Katsu, if she can see me outside, will whine and bark. If I close the back hatch or walk away from the car while she's crated she can't see anything and remains quiet.

I know someone who used a shock collar to keep their dog quiet on car rides. I won't recommend it, but it did have the desired impact.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a dog who's obviously lived an isolated life prior to rescue. Her first dozen rides in the truck, her head bobbed

back and forth to both sides of the street staring at houses, yards, mailboxes etc. Like a country bumpkin going

to NYC for the first time. Taking her out in the real world of noises and new things may be overwhelming her but

we only do it once a week or so. She begs to go for truck rides and sits by the truck door and hops right in.

I guess I was hoping there was a way of training her to shut off the imaginary need to ward off other dogs.

Thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been using a covered crate but my pup has outgrown it and nothing bigger will fit in my car. So, for car rides, I'm trying to be careful so not to get him going in the first place while we are working on his dog- and human-reactivity outside of a car. He is much less reactive in the car at night and on the highway--no slow moving dogs or people to catch his eye. That's when I take him out for fun rides and it seems to be working right now.

Eventually I'll take him out during the day and on local roads. I'm hoping by then to be able to use "leave it" as a command to get him to stop barking at whatever; it works pretty well if he hears something in the house that isn't too exciting, so maybe it will work in the car. I'm also just getting ready to start re`introduce him to parking lot observation time--where we will park at the far end of a lot and just observe what goes on. If he can stay under threshold for this, then we will continue. Otherwise, it will mean limited daytime rides until I can figure out a way limit what he sees and improve his on-the-ground reactivity (with the hope it will carry over to the car). I'm going to cover the car windows if I have to have him in the car when I'm out of it--running an errand, for example, where I can't take him in--bc he was quite good about it in the covered crate.

I'll be following your thread to see what other ideas folks have.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
I'm sorry but are you saying you have a loose dog freaking out in the cab of a pick up while you are driving?
Get a crate, put the dog in it, when you put the truck in gear give her a lay down command. If she doesn't listen hit the brakes. Gently enough to wobble her and then hard enough to make her lay down if she doesn't.
This behavior is distracting and dangerous. To you and anyone else on or near the road.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I tried the Petco parking/dog park etc. lot routine......in the truck with the freakshow.....dog has a strong food drive.....parked far away.....did the whole DS/CC thing.....I'd drive the truck closer and park...same routine......it did make a marked difference but not sufficient IMO.

Not much after that I trained with some folks who instructed me on how to use a dominant dog collar for me bitch's dog reactivity/aggression.......it carried over to her antics in the truck and made the difference. Good thing I had some smart people teach me how to use a DDC properly........

FWIW....to date my bitch will still give a woof or three at dogs which are pretty close to the truck or motorhome....but when I tell her to can it.....she does.....I'm okay with that.

SuperG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts