German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vet said Troy's hips look really good, and that they should come back good and if not better from OFA. She also said that the elbows are a little hard to read but they look good as well. I'm so happy that he doesn't have HD and I now hVe a piece of mind.
They said if the leg crossing continues when he's older to see a neurologist but it may just be because he's in the gangly stage right now.
Anyways I'm very happy, and I'll post a better picture once I get emailed the X-Rays.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Ugggg, I hate to disagree with your vet. But the femoral neck on your boy are very thickened.

Now, the positioning is not great. His legs are not positioned correctly, so that may make a difference.

While I don't think they are are horrible hips. They are not excellent.

Are you going to submit to OFA for prelims?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I could be wrong!! To me they are rotated too far in. They should be parallel and that can throw off the angle. How old is Troy? He is still young right?

I am glad you sent them in! I am no expert at all. TBH, when I sent my boys prelims in I was worried he would not pass. He got "good". So I tend to be overly critical!! LOL!

I know nothing about elbows. So I can't even hazard a guess!!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I feel bad. I totally just stunk on a good day of yours. That was really rude of me. Sorry.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Here are Karlo's prelim xrays at 6 months of age, done by Dr. Mostosky. Karlo went OFA fair at 2 when I sent them in. I took these against a sliding door so the lighting is poor due to background.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ugh now that they aren't positioned right now I don't know if he could have a problem now. :|
& Jane, I forgot the vet's name who did Troy's but she has like really blue/green eyes and had blonde hair if that helps.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Dr. Amanda is the one I suggested, as she studied under Dr. Mos. I don't see that the positioning is an issue at all, and wouldn't worry, the coverage could be better, but I think Troy's hips look like they'd pass. Elbow's look good too.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Jane, do you have a pic of the films that got the Fair? Because Troys look better in my mind when I see those. I see the same femoral neck thickening but better femoral head coverage in Troys.

So hopefully I am being too overly critical.

Wait for OFA. My boy was not positioned perfect for his prelims.

Also, I should add, based on these films, I don't think Troys hips are causing him any of his issues, the crossing over and such. I am in no way saying I think your boy has HD. Just that I disagree with the "excellent"

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I mean it doesn't bother me if he doesn't get excellent. My main concern was the leg crossing and that he could have this spinal issue, I'm just happy that his hips don't look too bad, and that it hopefully won't effect him. I'll be getting him x-rayed again when he's full grown.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Karlo at 2 yr old, sent in to OFA, these were also done by Dr. Mos....
quality could have been better, they were films, not digital.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Yeah, I mean it doesn't bother me if he doesn't get excellent. My main concern was the leg crossing and that he could have this spinal issue, I'm just happy that his hips don't look too bad, and that it hopefully won't effect him. I'll be getting him x-rayed again when he's full grown.
how many pups were in the litter? Did you ask for a spinal xray as well?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
These were the ones that went Fair? Ok. That gives me perspective! But they are well positioned. Parallel and knees straight on.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Geez now that I look at these, Troy's positioning looks really bad.
the positioning is fine...legs are straight down...he was sedated for this or not?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not only is the positioning totally fine, but his hips are utterly normal for his age! Sockets are not super deep, but those hips are not causing that dog any problems! Why do people say things when they really don't know? Why scare someone unnecessarily? :confused:

I could look at his hips and tell he was 6-7 months old. Relax, Momma..your little one is ok in that department. :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts