German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a 2 year old German Shepherd named Buddy and my husband and I have recently started looking for another dog of another breed. Buddy is around dogs of all types/sizes and is perfectly fine. Never shows aggression, just wants to play! Anyway, I preferably want a smaller dog. I have tried to adopt other dogs but once they find out I have a German Shepherd, I am immediately questioned and/or turned away. It's happened atleast 3 times.

Like for instance, I emailed someone and let them know I was interested in her little Maltese and I also mentioned that my GS needed a little friend to play with. She replied and said "Are you sure your German Shepherd won't eat this dog?" I was soo upset and offended that someone would say that to me. I guess I never really knew how much of a bad reputation GSD's had until now!

Another example actually happened today. I went to the local pound and seen this cute 2 year old dachshund. Filled out the paperwork and brought Buddy in for a meet & greet and they made me put him in a cage..so immediately he was overwhelmed because he was somewhere he wasn't familiar with and locked up. When they brought the dachshund out, they were just walking him back and forth. Now knowing my dog, I knew he was going to bark because he likes to sniff the other dogs first so he feels comfortable but he was stuck in the cage. To make a long story short, Buddy kept barking and wanting to play (wagging his tail) but the pound people took it differently and turned me away saying I shouldn't get a little dog with a German Shepherd.

Am I trying to do the impossible? Am I doing something wrong?? I almost feel like I have to lie and not say I have a GSD just so someone will pay attention to me. Is there any other way to make people see that GSD's aren't as bad/scary as they think?? And does this mean I can never get a smaller dog? Please advise!! :help:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
[/QUOTE]Is there any other way to make people see that GSD's aren't as bad/scary as they think?? And does this mean I can never get a smaller dog? Please advise!! :help:[/QUOTE]

Probably not. It's hard to change people's minds about much of anything.

I do think you will find someone who does understand though. Might just take a little longer.

Lots of people have itty bitty dogs with GSD's.

I personally would want something a little bigger. If they are too small I would worry about the litttle on accidentally getting hurt.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
unfortunately you're dealing with breed ignorance. People who dont have GSDs assume, because of the jobs they perform, that they're going to be dangerous and/or problematic. Keep in mind, a lot of shelter workers are just there because its a job. they dont actually know a whole lot about animals, and they especially dont know anything breed specific unless its negatives they've heard or seen in the shelter. You honestly, may have to either go through a breeder for a smaller dog. Its possible to find a shelter or rescue who will adopt a smaller dog to you but it can be tough. Stay positive and keep looking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When we went to the pound today, seemed like they already made their mind up once they seen Buddy. Made me sad because I know he is such a good boy! But Buddy will have a little friend someday =). Thank you both!

·
Registered
389 Posts
There is no reason that a large dog and a small dog can't get along. I frequently dog sit my parent's Westie and he and Dax are fine together. The only thing that ever happens is if Dax gets really excited (we go out to play ball) and the Westie is underfoot- I have to slow Dax down so he doesn't start zooming all over and run over the Westie. I don't leave them alone together either.

I would just keep trying shelters and rescues. I would be up front that you have a dog friendly, playful, high energy (whatever describes your dog...) German Shepherd. Also, if some of the shelter workers are telling you you can't adopt a dog- I would consider politely going to their superiors. Show them that your dog is well trained (if you have any certificates or accomplishments with your dog you could show them) and discuss with them the things you would do to ensure that your dog never had a chance to even accidentally injure another dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts