German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy is 14 weeks old. We are currently in obedience classes learning the basics. We have been practicing "heel" and he is really good when it's just us two or any of my other family members. However, when we take my other dog a 5 year old chow he goes crazy. Now I know he's a puppy and gets excited but this seems like unusual behavior. He will bark and scream like crazy to be with her and try and catch up with her if he's a little bit behind. Once he does he bites her face (it's a pretty hard bite) it's gotten to the point where my chow gets really irritated and snaps at him. He will even put his two front paws on her like he's trying to make her stay. He also did this to my friends dog. It takes him a while to calm down to if the dog is out of site. Is this typical puppy (since I'm a first time GSD owner) or are his herding instincts kicking in. I would just like to know if anyone else has experienced this. I plan to ask the trainer soon.

I'm new to this forum to by the way

Thanks for the help !!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Each of my dogs walks separately on leash with me very nicely. Together, not so much. :whistle: Halo HAS to be in the lead or she screams and pulls to get to Keefer, and if he's close to her she dives on his head. Sound familiar? :D

I don't even try to walk them together, it's a much more pleasant experience to just walk them separately. They both enjoy the one on one time too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Obedience is situational, proofing a dog is what training is all about.

I have a 3yo dog that is PERFECT in the house, almost perfect in the back yard, very good in the front yard, and **** for brains everywhere else.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
I wouldn't expect much for leash walking with a 14 week old puppy, even under the best of circumstances, which would definitely not include the distraction of another dog!

I didn't really get serious about training loose leash walking with Halo until she was about 7 months old, and then I started taking her out several times a week for at least an hour - training, training, training. For me, if I want to train good leash skills I have to pretty much abandon the idea of "going for a walk", and concentrate instead on reinforcing the behavior I want. That might mean that we walk back and forth over the same patch of ground over and over and over before actually progressing.

That's exactly what we did the first time I took her to a nearby regional park with a lake that has a nice paved walking path. We'd already mastered walking around the neighborhood, training on a busy street corner with lots of traffic, and at all three of the strip malls in town. I was ready to increase the level of distraction, and hence the difficulty, so we went to Lake Chabot. It took at LEAST 20 minutes to walk the half block from the car to the entrance of the park! Every time she pulled ahead, I backed up. When the leash was slack, we continued forward, and then she pulled and we backed up again. And again, and again, and again. We practiced sits, stays, and downs, we did some hand targeting, I rewarded her for eye contact, we turned in right and left hand circles, we did short (the length of the leash) recalls.

Now she walks beautifully on leash, but I worked very hard at it. And like I said, she's still a little snot if Keefer is there! :wild:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to try that method for a while and see how it goes. I really appreciate the input and help. Ill take all the help I can get. Especially being a first time GSD owner. I'm expecting a perfect dog but I need to remember he's still just a puppy. I think I'm just worried he will carry certain behaviors to adulthood

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
14 weeks is super young.

I'd just use the gentle leader harness to manage him while he's going thru these learning stages and over excitement. The classes will help.

My last 2 GSD puppies LOVE to play 'puppy on the head' when they meet new dogs and this is usually NOT appreciated by the older dogs. Yet it's a game the puppies persist in participating in for months and months.

Get this harness and you'll be amazed how much better normal walks will go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts