German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just looking for some suggestions and to see if maybe someone had a similar issue and found a food that worked good. I've had a constant battle with soft stools.

When I got my puppy, he was on raw food, and everything was fine. I chose to take him off raw because it wasn't practical for me at the time. We travel, so taking raw everywhere was not easy.

I have since tried the following:
Acana LBP - was on this for the longest. Switched off it to try something without chicken to see if it would help with the soft stool.
Tried Acana Pacifica for a while and ranchlands with a fairly similar result. Would be good for a little while and then he would go through bouts of soft stools.

After all that I tried putting him on a food with a bit of grain in it to see if that would firm things up and used Fromm LBP. That was about the same, but seemed a little better. After a month or two on that, I switched to Costco, salmon and sweet potato. He now has firm stool, but there's an unholy amount....like 3x the normal quantity. He will sometimes have to go twice in the same walk to get it all out. I also, don't trust the manufacturer of the Costco food, so I don't want to use it longterm.

Now, when he has soft stool, I can give him pumpkin daily and it will mostly counteract it, but I feel like I should be able to find a good quality food that would work for him.

Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions for what I can try next. Sorry about the long post!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I switched from Taste of the Wild Wetlands to Victor Nutra Pro just 2 weeks ago. I only switched because I needed a higher calorie per cup and higher protein and fat from the dry food. I would've stayed with TOTW if they have a higher protein food. Their customer service is a lot better compared to Victor, IMHO.

The transition process took 9 days and within 5 days after the transition was over, I gave my pup pumpkin puree 2 tablespoon a day. It was rough for the 1st 7 days of the transition but after that, his stools are firm and perfect, very easy to clean.

I would suggest Victor or Taste of the Wild. High quality food that don't break the bank.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another in favor of Victor. We just finished transitioning over to Victor Hero Canine formula with Glucosamine last week.

Reactions: tc68

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I switched from Taste of the Wild Wetlands to Victor Nutra Pro just 2 weeks ago. I only switched because I needed a higher calorie per cup and higher protein and fat from the dry food. I would've stayed with TOTW if they have a higher protein food. Their customer service is a lot better compared to Victor, IMHO.

The transition process took 9 days and within 5 days after the transition was over, I gave my pup pumpkin puree 2 tablespoon a day. It was rough for the 1st 7 days of the transition but after that, his stools are firm and perfect, very easy to clean.

I would suggest Victor or Taste of the Wild. High quality food that don't break the bank.
Another vote for Victor here
Another in favor of Victor. We just finished transitioning over to Victor Hero Canine formula with Glucosamine last week.

I'm not sure if you can get Victor in Canada. I haven't seen it at any of the stores at least.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm not sure if you can get Victor in Canada. I haven't seen it at any of the stores at least.
I don't buy mine in a store either. You can get it on Amazon, or Chewy. I use Chewy because Amazon doesn't offer subscribe and save on the kind of Victor I use, but Chewy offers autoship with a discount, so I get a 30lb bag for $51.50 with free shipping.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I don't buy mine in a store either. You can get it on Amazon, or Chewy. I use Chewy because Amazon doesn't offer subscribe and save on the kind of Victor I use, but Chewy offers autoship with a discount, so I get a 30lb bag for $51.50 with free shipping.
Chewy, I think, does not ship to Canada and Amazon.ca does not sell Victor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never found Victor here. Where in Canada are you? I have a couple of suggestions.
Chewy, I think, does not ship to Canada and Amazon.ca does not sell Victor.
Yeah Chewy isn't really an option. I'm Saint John, New Brunswick, but will be back in Calgary in a couple months. Looking for something common enough I can find it in most cities. I normally go to global pet foods.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
GO! looks like a good food and folks seem happy with it. I can't use it because of the flax. Same deal with the Pulsar foods. Global sells a food called Canadian Naturals, but I wasn't thrilled with it. Seems to be a good food and a couple of friends use it and are happy.
By far my favorite food is First Mate, bit cheaper then the Acana and you feed less. Global is their national retailer so even if they don't have it they can order for you, no cost. I am just switching Shadow to the new grain friendly formula in light of the DCM/Taurine debacle and none of the stores are carrying it yet but I had mine two days after I ordered it. I paid $47 for a 25lb bag.
In Calgary, the Cambrian store refused to order it, I was shocked, but the Marda Loop store said no problem, anytime.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Go! is made by a Canadian company called Petcurean. Good, privately owned company... They make other lines in addition to Go! some grain-free some grain inclusive. Definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Has he had a recent fecal test? I would run one just to be totally sure there's not some intestinal parasite causing his diarrhea. A giardia test would also be a good idea. I always want to rule out the easy stuff before lots of food changes!

Open Farm is another interesting Canadian option. However, I would really caution you about the grain-free foods that are very high in legumes/potatoes right now -- we have an excellent thread that you should follow:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/for...-dog-foods-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy.html
(be sure to read the links -- esp. the spreadsheet linked in it and the links to Monica Segal's nutrition posts).

Rawz is another interesting, newer American kibble option with very high levels of meat -- from a very reputable family with decades of dog food experience. I'm not sure if it's sold in Canada yet -- the price point is about like Orijen.

But...you don't have to feed kibble just because you're traveling. Several of us have allergy dogs with crazy GI issues who can't eat kibble without having blowout diarrhea (possibly with blood too)...and we travel. My dog goes on x-country road trips with me twice a year. I freeze his raw food in ziplock bags and have a "dog cooler." I also always book a room with a fridge for his food (and a freezer if I can get one). I take just enough to get me to the destination where I can re-up (2-3 days worth).

Some other options that approximate raw and make it a little easier:

1. You might consider combining raw with a shelf-stable base-mix that makes a complete meal when you add water + some fresh meat. Options include The Honest Kitchen, Sojo's, Dr. Harvey's, Volhard Nutrition, Balance It. Having a base mix means traveling with smaller meat portions. Most of them are formulated for adults (not all life stages).

2. For travel, all of the companies that make base-mixes also sell "meat included" complete options (i.e., with dehydrated meat already in them). Just add water, and you've got a minimally processed (low-temp-air dried) meal of high-quality food. There are several of these options that are labeled as "all life stages" that should be fine to support a growing pup.

3. For travel, jerky foods like ZiwiPeak and Only Natural Pet's Max Meat are expensive but convenient. It's shelf-stable scoop-and-serve food. I keep it around for hurricane prep for my raw-fed dog.

If you go the dehydrated mix route, I'd considering add taurine as discussed in the thread I link -- I also add high-quality fish oil when I'm feeding these foods.

FWIW, the base mix option probably saved my dog from a life of misery -- The Honest Kitchen's Preference produces huge, firm poops and soothed the GI system of my dog. It has more peas than I'd like, but it does work.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
GO! looks like a good food and folks seem happy with it. I can't use it because of the flax. Same deal with the Pulsar foods. Global sells a food called Canadian Naturals, but I wasn't thrilled with it. Seems to be a good food and a couple of friends use it and are happy.
By far my favorite food is First Mate, bit cheaper then the Acana and you feed less. Global is their national retailer so even if they don't have it they can order for you, no cost. I am just switching Shadow to the new grain friendly formula in light of the DCM/Taurine debacle and none of the stores are carrying it yet but I had mine two days after I ordered it. I paid $47 for a 25lb bag.
In Calgary, the Cambrian store refused to order it, I was shocked, but the Marda Loop store said no problem, anytime.
Mine did well on Petcurean GO for about a year or so. We went back to Fromm earlier this year due to budget constraints. None of mine have sensitive guts, but I'm still a bit surprised how switching cold turkey between those two brands was a nonissue.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Mine did well on Petcurean GO for about a year or so. We went back to Fromm earlier this year due to budget constraints. None of mine have sensitive guts, but I'm still a bit surprised how switching cold turkey between those two brands was a nonissue.
I thought the GO was a bit pricey tbh, but did not really care since Shadow appears to have issues with flaxseed. During my brief experiment with Acana she had her only bout of soft stool in recent memory. Not the first dog I have had that problem with. I seem to have bad luck with Acana.
Honestly though, I'm pretty sold on First Mate. If I had access to Victor I would probably give it a shot. I know from a budget standpoint raw is out of the question, I'm guessing meat is cheaper in the US.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That sucks you can't get Victor in Canada. I would have suggested that too. Taste of the Wild is good too.

Couple months ago I switched from Victor to TOTW because for some reason she lost the taste for Victor. Once I start getting low on this current TOTW bag, I'm gonna start mixing in and switching back to Victor.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
That sucks you can't get Victor in Canada. I would have suggested that too. Taste of the Wild is good too.

Couple months ago I switched from Victor to TOTW because for some reason she lost the taste for Victor. Once I start getting low on this current TOTW bag, I'm gonna start mixing in and switching back to Victor.

Most of the foods and meds recommended on here are either not available, really hard to find, or flat out illegal. I keep reminding people but I guess they forget.

And here in Alberta there is no flea problem, minimal tick issues, no heartworm, no rabies, no distemper and no where in Canada that I know of are there mandatory vaccines. Giardia is also not an issue in most areas, although it does happen.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm another member who recently switched from TOTW to Victor...but as has been said it's not sold anywhere north of the lower 48 states...so i'll simply say stay with the pumpkin it's nothing but added fiber to the diet....we have a 12 year old who since we got him at 8 weeks had a soft stool we tried many brands of kibble and at times adding different supplements... nothing worked long term even if it seemed to make a difference initially....I started adding some canned pumpkin regularly maybe 8 years ago ??.... and he consistently has a pretty firm poop with no side effects what so ever
some dogs IMO are just more prone to have a softer poop and pumpkin works great

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are so many kinds of Victor food how do you know which is best? I know I want to stay away from grain free but should I go with the Nutra Pro, Hi Pro Plus, Professional, Multi Pro, Select..? And should I go with a puppy formula or just start feeding Adult right away?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts