German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so upset... My mom is at my house taking care of the dogs and apparently Tripper attacked Bosley for no reason. He has NEVER done that! He would not let go of Bosleys ear and mom had to pry his mouth open to get him to release.

Neither my mom or myself are worried about Tripper turning on us - I am scared for Bosley. He is the senior of the pack and very submissive - he will never fight back.

In reading some other threads, it sounds like a muzzle would be my best option. Can anyone reccomend one for a 100lb male GSD? I don't have to worry about keeping them separate as Tripper is crate trained and is always in there when no one is home.

My biggest question is, why now? What would cause Tripper to do this? He has been a gentle giant until now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so as she spends so much time with all of them. She also has never seen this behavior. Just talked to her again and she tried to let Tripper out to see what would happen and he went right for Bosley - fortunately mom was between the 2 and stopped it before it started.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I'm working. I work 12 hour shifts and that is way too long to keep Tripper and Leroy crated - so she hangs out with them.

The only thing I did differently this am was take Leroy with me to work because we have been having a rough time crate training him. Tripper and Leroys crates are in the same room, so he knew Leroy was gone. It is strange tho that he went after Bosley and not Leroy - but Leroy is a puppy and Tripper adores him.

Mom picked him up from me on her way to my house. The incident occured after she had been there for an hour. Mom was walking in a hallway when it happened.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Things happen when pack members are suddenly gone. I don't have anything else to say except that your mom should keep them separated. You should be the one to deal with this problem since you know them best.

If you look at any of the working dog online stores they will sell muzzles for all sorts of dogs. Look for a plastic or a wire basket muzzle. Leather may be too expensive but plastic and wire allow the dog no restrictions on breathing. I would use a muzzle if you have the two in a room and are actively training them but not as a license to have the two of them wander loose with your mom. If it comes down to both dogs having to be loose at the same time, gate the house such that one cannot come in contact with the other.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have been free in the house the last few hours under the very watchful eye of my mom, without issues. If Tripper even looks sideways at Bosley, she will tell him "no". When I head home I will call and let her know I am close so she can crate Tripper.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will start working on this immediately - I cannot let this escalate.

My mom wants to take Bosley to her house for the night - would that be a good idea or make it worse between the the two?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is exactly what I was thinking - thanks.

The benefit of working 12 hour shifts is I only work 3 days a week. So, my time off is going to be well spent working on them.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts