German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'd like to say hello again...I've been off this site for a long time. I'm back and would like to see if someone can help me. (I hope I'm posting in the correction spot). A friend of mine said there is a GSD pup - 7 months old - that's in a horrible ...I'll just leave it at that ...a HORRIBLE situation. She had her rear right leg removed and is healing from the surgery. My question is...I have never had a tripod before. She seems to be in good health besides missing the leg. I was told she was friendly with other dogs, children, cats, etc... She just needs to be away from the monster she is currently with. I told my friend I would pick her up tomorrow and GIVE IT MY ALL to see if she can fit in with my three GSD's already.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to care for a tripod GSD? Any helpful hints? Anything that will easy her into the pack? She's been locked in her cage all her life, abused, they had to remove her leg but I was told she was still in good spirits. I'm hoping to save this innocent soul...(if my present GSD's will let me). Any helpful suggestions anyone could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. I am assuming it's better for her to be on area rugs (I have hardwood floors). I've read to keep her weight down and to keep her paw pads clean. That's not a problem with me. I rescued a very, very sick senior GSD that was going to be PTS - he was in awful shape...too much to mention here. But - ... I got him as good as new!! :) I still clean his paw pads everyday because he's allergic to grass.

I'm just really nervous to bring a 4 th GSD in the house with a missing leg. Any pointers would GREATLY, GREATLY be appreciated. Thank you so much!! ... And HI!! to my old GSD friends that I have spoke to in forever!! :) :help:

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Luckily dogs have three more legs. Most tripods live a very normal happy long life. Treat her like every other dog. Once she has healed from the surgery.

Integrate her the same way you would if she had four legs.

Dogs carry 70 % of their weight in the front legs, so it's best that's its a back leg. She will do great.

The most issue you will have will be her lack if social skills due to her current situation.

Good luck and bless you for taking her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
:greet: - HI Linda ... glad to see you're back for a visit ... have missed you!!!

I had a tripod ... Niki ... he had his RIGHT FRONT leg amputated due to osteosarcoma ... he was 7 years old and lived for another six months. So my experience may be completely different than yours. Niki adjusted to the amputation almost immediately, in less than 24 hours, BUT he'd been limping on three legs for a while before I agreed to the amputation (something I'll NEVER forgive myself for doing ... I should have had his leg amputated the second the osteosarcoma diagnosis was confirmed).

If possible I'd do the introductions to your guys in a neutral location ... IMHO it's difficult enough bringing a new dog into the family who's healthy and has a sound background, this new girl's history and her behavior is an unknown factor. Also I'd walk her on lead for a while until she gets her "sea legs" as a tripod.

As far as your new girl adjusting to your home, family and dogs I'd play it by ear to see exactly how she handles this ... IT'S A HUGE MOVE to go from whatever she's been thru to becoming a tripod to ending up with a new family. I know you can do it and will do an excellent job ... wish I had some tips for you.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR NEW GIRL!!!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys!

Hi Gayle!! I've missed everyone on here. With 4 kids, 3 puppers and a life changing situation - I do not have much spare time but I wanted to pop back on here.

When I introduced Apollo, my senior rescue from last year - it was AWFUL. He was great with the other dogs in the shelter he was in but when I got home - oh boy - he went after my other two. Then they started to defend themselves and everyone was showing teeth and going after each other... I really thought I was going to have to return him but...I knew what his fate would be. I could not let him be PTS. With patience and the knowledge I have with GSD's (I don't know everything but I'd like to think I know a little, lol) - I made it work. :) My three puppers are nice and content now.

It will not be easy with this little girl I'm going to try and bring into my house today. At the very least, if it doesn't work, I will know I got her out of her abusive situation and I think one of the GSD's rescues I know will be able to help me.

I'm going to try - that's all I can do. I'll keep you guys updated. Today will be an even busier day than normal. Please keep all fingers and paws crossed for me! :fingerscrossed:

Thank you! :hugs:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I was looking at a tripod GSD last year. From what I gathered from people that have them, they can be just as normal. I hope it all works out. It sounds like you will make it work. Please post pictures of her when you bring her home. She is so young, that I'm thinking that you will end up with a good dog that fits in with your family. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to post a picture in the pic thread now. It's not easy but...I'm trying to carefully introduce her into the pack. Baby steps...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts