German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
We got Vienna spayed after her first false pregnancy and 2nd heat. She bounced back in no time, probably the next day or so. We did have to wait for the false pregnancy symptoms to subside but otherwise all went well. We kept her in a jump suit instead of using the cone and found that much better. Good Luck…

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got Vienna spayed after her first false pregnancy and 2nd heat. She bounced back in no time, probably the next day or so. We did have to wait for the false pregnancy symptoms to subside but otherwise all went well. We kept her in a jump suit instead of using the cone and found that much better. Good Luck…
Same, we waited for her to be done with all her symptoms. What is a jump suit ?

·
Administrator
10,099 Posts
i typically opt for minimal drug usage and previously, all my females had recovered from their procedures by the time i brought them home…… after having a freshly spayed female in my home last year, i will always opt for the sedatives! she was so active i even had to get an extension.

if your vet offers lap spays - i’d get that, they recover in half the time if not less.

Reactions: AKD

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i typically opt for minimal drug usage and previously, all my females had recovered from their procedures by the time i brought them home…… after having a freshly spayed female in my home last year, i will always opt for the sedatives! she was so active i even had to get an extension.

if your vet offers lap spays - i’d get that, they recover in half the time if not less.
Thanks. Those are good points I will ask for sedatives as I know Trin is difficult to keep chill for a long amount of time. I will also check on lap spays.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Same, we waited for her to be done with all her symptoms. What is a jump suit ?
It is a full body suit that prevents the dog getting at its post op wounds.
Exactly as @Gwyllgi mentioned. It worked very well, as I don't think Vienna would have tolerated the cone. Just have to pull it out the way when she needs to go outside to do her business. Easy to wash as well…glad our Vet recommended the body suit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
We used the suit as well and she could pee in with it on. She would stand awkwardly in it though and it took about 30 mins of just standing there until she realised she could walk in it! 😆

We had a lap spay and she was absolutely fine. 24 hours later you'd never know anything had been done. Few days of lead walks then quiet walks where she wouldn't charge about too much. I would highly recommend it if you have the option :D

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Eldest current bitch spayed at 4 yo when false pregnancies caused her to think no other dog belonged in the neighborhood or for that matter on the face of the earth. Second one, at 8 with pyro. Both recovered well. For collars - the Bite Not worked for the second one but not for the first (it's like a cervical collar - very stiff) I don't know the name of the other collar I have that isn't the cone but it is an inflatable one. Worked great for the other dog. Both of these collars are easier on dogs and humans.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Inflatable collar is "Stay Rite" Looking at the body suits - you might look at K9 topcoat for alternatives, too. I have a couple of silver ones I used in Arkansas. Dogs looked like they were suited up as astronauts. Didn't use them for surgery recovery 'though. .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts