German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having dogs growing up, I transitioned to owning my own dog relatively easy. But one thing I find myself unsure about is trimming Riley's nails. She has daily long walks so her back nails are staying pretty trim, but I have to keep snipping the front ones and her dew claws. I made a mistake with the dew claw and cut it too short once and it bled everywhere for awhile, so my hubby hangs over me while i'm doing it. he's afraid i'm going to cut it too short. I know every dog is different, but how often do you cut nails and how much do you take off at a time?

I've been calling her "tappy" because i can hear her click click clicking on the floor.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Sarah you have got to look into getting a dremel. They are the best and make it sooooooo easy to file their nails. With Penny's black nails trimming was near impossible and the time spent filing afterward took too much time.

Love, love the dremel! And you don't have to worry about quicking them. I dremel once a week.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I've yet to have to clip Chance's nails and I've had him for a year. I do trim my Chihuahuas nails often as they seem to grow non-stop. I take a little off the tip every 2-3 weeks.

I've wanted to switch over to a dremel, seems like it would be easier (For me and the dog plus I think it'd be easier to keep from clipping the quick) and I could smooth out Chance's nails without actually taking a chunk of nail off.

And just in case you ever clip the nail short again (I do all the time with my male Chihuahua because even though we've had him for 4 years now, he STILL acts as if I'm murdering him when I clip his nails) you can use flour or cornstarch to stop the bleeding.
Just dab a little on the nail and you're done.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh wow never thought of the flour... i was at a loss because my mom always had the stop bleed stuff on hand and i didn't. Good to know!

what dremels do people use?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts