German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please spread the word to those that might have experienced issues with this drug. I have been following the FB group "Trifexis Kills DOGS", where, on a fairly regular basis, dogs are having bad reactions to this med, including some fatal reactions. It is unknown the extent of this problem. However, a lawyer is trying to gather stories, to see if there is cause to take action. Here is the webpage:

http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com/trifexis-flea-medication.php

Thanks,

LisaT
(Permission to cross-post)

·
Registered
366 Posts
This worries me. All my dogs are on trifexis and although I have never had any issues over the last year but i have been hearing a lot of this trifexis info lately and the fact that there is a FB page with lots of folks discussing this puts my already overly obsessive personality into over drive. We are getting a new puppy the end of September form a litter that was born Aug 7th and was going to put him on the same regimen. This makes me rethink it. :(. I hate having to look for new treatments, everywhere you look there are goods and bads to different products. Sigh.....we live in an area where natural remedies just don't work as well and heart worm and flea preventative is a MUST. My research for alternatives begins.....

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Our vet doesn't use it anymore because he has seen so many dogs get sick from it and went back to Heartgard Plus :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
I can do heartguard plus but it is the flea preventive I have had trouble with. Frontline stopped working for us several years ago....maybe time to revisit. I have about 2 more months of trifexis left for each dog then it may be time to switch over to something else.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Oh and by the way in talking with my vet after reading this info over the last few days, they have not had a single case where illness had been caused from trifexis. But one never knows I guess. They have had a few folks say it has upset their pups stomach but nothing more.

To stay on trifexis or not, that is the question.....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I stopped using it

·
Registered
245 Posts
I will not use Trifexis again. I had used it during the warm months (since it is both heart worm and flea) since summer of 2012, then would switch to Heartgard during the winter months. The last few times I have given Trifexis, the last of which was 3 days ago, Hank did a lot more chewing at his tail, licking his flanks and seeming to itch more all over. Being that he is already and allergic dog and is currently at the end of a 30 day course of Simplicef for a staph infection, I DO NOT need any more problems. We were actually at the vet yesterday getting Heartgard for the winter and I said to the vet, call me crazy but he seems to have a skin reaction to it every time. The vet said it may be due to the pork flavoring in Trifexis, since the actual drug ingredients are the equivalent of Comfortis and Interceptor. In any case, NEVER using it again, and the price is ridiculous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts