German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate some advice/input on how to prevent a problem I seem to have only when trialing. It is with the basic position.

Basically, any time in trial that my dog has to go to basic position, she goes around behind me quickly like she is supposed to but just stands next to me.....there is no sit in basic like she is supposed to (and normally does eagerly in training). She also does the same during the retrieves. She will go out for the dumbbell, bring it back in front of me like she is supposed to, but again, she just stands there with the dumbbell....no sit in front. Then we do the finish and she goes around behind me but just stands next to me with no sit. Again, this is only in a trial situation....it is not a problem in training.

As you can imagine, this problem can lead to a lot of points lost during the entire OB pattern. In training, I have been enforcing the sit by giving a firm thump on the butt, but it really isn't necessary as she always willingly does it without a reminder. In trials, I have also stared (glared actually) at her back end and that will get her to sit sometimes (although slowly).

I have been told that it is from nerves due to the trial situation and a lot of dogs do it. It is a really silly thing to lose points over and am looking for something I can do that might help.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
733 Posts
So, when your training director compared the videos of training and trialing could he/she spot any differences in your handling?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
When you have such a difference between training and trialing, it is almost always a handler problem. You are doing something in training that she is relying on that you aren't doing at the trial. A frequent cause for the no sit on the finish is the handler always turns their head to check for the sit and doesn't do that at the trial so the dog is waiting for the shoulder and head turn. A frequent cause of the no sit on the fronts is a tense handler. Definitely have someone either really watch or video you and you will find the problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense it is my handling causing the issue-I figured as much. I will go back and watch trial videos vs. training videos. I will watch closely for any subtle things I do in both and see how they compare.

Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts