German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What treats do you all feed your pups/dogs? I’m not talking about fancy, homemade treats, just store bought, simple treats??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
BEST training treat I've found 3 decades! LOL
Small, light, non greasy, keep in your pocket treat!

This is actually a freeze dried/dehydrated, high quality, ONE protein (with the exception of herring oil), food but we use it for treats!:gsdbeggin:
Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Beef MINI Nibs: Ingredients: Beef, beef lung, beef liver, beef heart, beef stomach, beef fat, beef kidney, beef blood, herring oil.

They also come in Duck, Chicken, Rabbit, Salmon & Turkey.
1 pound bag is $30 but lasts a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Essentials-Freeze-Dried-Limited-Ingredient/dp/B00ZU6O0PU

EASY HOMEMADE MEAT TREATS

Items needed:
Non Stick Fry Pan
Large Round Steak or Pork Chops or Lamb or Goat or Calves Liver or any whole meats your dog can eat.
Scissors
1. Trim off all fat on the edges and in-between and if it has bone, remove that too. If using Calves Liver, thaw, and blot well with paper towel to remove excess blood.
2. Take a pair of scissors (outstanding tool for cutting meat, raw or cooked) and cut the meat into manageable pieces.
3. Choose a fry pan (non stick works the easiest) that will hold the amount of meat you bought, and give the pan a small drop of oil or a quick spray of Pam.
4. Heat the pan until really hot and drop in the meat pieces in to sizzle. Keep your heat high but don’t leave the pan unattended.
5. Sprinkle on a little garlic powder or garlic salt if desired.
6. Let it sizzle for about a minute or two then flip over. Braise the other side (pour off the juice if there is too much) and remove from pan when the middle is pink (especially the Liver or it will crumble). Place on to paper towel, blot and let cool.
7. Take your scissors and cut all of the meat in strips about ¼” wide. Now take those strips and cut small pieces about the size of a ½ of a dime, (or whatever size you prefer).
8. Place small amounts into sealable snack baggies, then place those baggies into a sealable freezer baggie and place in freezer. When you need them, take out one or two baggies, place them in the frig and they will un-thaw. Of course the dogs love them frozen too, if you forget! They will unthaw quickly on the cupboard or in your pocket for training.
The process takes a little time but saves a lot of $$ and the dogs go crazy for them!

Moms:smile2:

·
Registered
587 Posts
BEST training treat I've found 3 decades! LOL
Small, light, non greasy, keep in your pocket treat!

This is actually a freeze dried/dehydrated, high quality, ONE protein (with the exception of herring oil), food but we use it for treats!:gsdbeggin:
Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Beef MINI Nibs: Ingredients: Beef, beef lung, beef liver, beef heart, beef stomach, beef fat, beef kidney, beef blood, herring oil.

They also come in Duck, Chicken, Rabbit, Salmon & Turkey.
1 pound bag is $30 but lasts a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Essentials-Freeze-Dried-Limited-Ingredient/dp/B00ZU6O0PU

Moms:smile2:
These are very similar to what I posted but a lot cheaper! I'll give them a shot.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Hello Nscullin!

All of the treats we use are store bought and mostly single ingredient/source as much as possible.

We get our training treats from Chewy sometimes Amazon.
We've tried all of the Vital Essentials treats and favorites are the Duck Nibs and Rabbit Bites.

Another one we've tried is Bones & Chews All Natural Beef Recipe. They like it better than Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Crunch and also is less crumbly.

Stella and Chewy's Chicken Hearts is a favorite!

For recall training we use Purebites Beef and Duck liver.
We use Darwin's Naturals venison treats cut up into small squares as a reward on our hikes.

The ultimate high value reward treat is Koda Pet's Papa Psuka beef treats. I don't know what it is but they go ballistic whenever they hear me say 'papa'.

And of course for lounging they like Nature Gnaws bully sticks.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I buy sliced cheese as a household staple. I can get 25 to 36 training treats from a single slice of cheese, cutting it into little squares.

·
Registered
372 Posts
All my dogs love the crunchy milkbone type generic treats at the grocery store. I break them into pieces for training. Cheap, too.

I also use Redbarn rolls, chopped up, and liver treats are for special types of training.

I have a lot of dogs to train, so economy is a plus.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep them coming! Great ideas. I’ve been doing hot dogs and cheese

·
Super Moderator
32,039 Posts
I use a lot of this, it's also food but I use it as training treats: https://www.chewy.com/real-meat-company-90-beef-grain-free/dp/110466

They also make treats but they're more expensive per ounce than the food, which is quite reasonable for a good quality training treat at around $27.00 for a two pound bag that lasts a long time.

Description
The recipe is simple - real meat, and lots of it! This recipe is gently mixed with natural vitamins and minerals and then air-dried into a meaty and scrumptious dry food for your dog. It makes a great alternative to raw and frozen diets and is easy to serve. It can be fed as is or mixed with water for improved hydration.

Key Benefits
Complete balanced meat and organ air-dried dog food made with 90% free-range, grass-fed beef that is gently dried to remove moisture yet preserve all of the natural nutrients and flavor

Less messy and time saving alternative to feeding raw or frozen diets

Complete diet contains all necessary vitamins and minerals, can be fed as is or rehydrated with water for extra moisture in your pet's diet

Grain and gluten-free recipe contains no added hormones, antibiotics, fillers, colorings, preservatives or anything artificial

Suitable for all life stages and made in the USA!
Happy Howie rolls are also great but need to be cut up in advance and stored in the fridge or freezer. Unlike some rolls, it does not crumble. I bought an onion chopper on Amazon for around $20, which makes quick work of cutting up a whole roll. https://www.happyhowies.com/product/12-oz-beef-meat-roll-treat/

I also use string cheese, which I buy in large bags at Costco.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use a lot of this, it's also food but I use it as training treats: https://www.chewy.com/real-meat-company-90-beef-grain-free/dp/110466

They also make treats but they're more expensive per ounce than the food, which is quite reasonable for a good quality training treat at around $27.00 for a two pound bag that lasts a long time.

Happy Howie rolls are also great but need to be cut up in advance and stored in the fridge or freezer. Unlike some rolls, it does not crumble. I bought an onion chopper on Amazon for around $20, which makes quick work of cutting up a whole roll. https://www.happyhowies.com/product/12-oz-beef-meat-roll-treat/

I also use string cheese, which I buy in large bags at Costco.

I have the real meat. I like it with the exception of it taking too long to chew for my pup. She’s still teething though

·
Registered
132 Posts
For my dog anything edible is a treat. Now we him treats at the store but you could use anything from hot dog to any type of cheap meat from the grocery store

1 - 17 of 17 Posts