German Shepherds Forum banner

Treat quality you feed most regularly

• I feed grain free food and grain free treats

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • I feed raw and I feed very high quality treats (grain free, or close)

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I feed a grocery store brand food and treat

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I feed a grocery store brand food but high quality treat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feed mid range food and mid range treats

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I feed high quality food, but grocery store treats

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I feed prescription treats only

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I feed different quality treats depending on their use (please explain)

Votes: 14 23.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this here and there and always wondered what the majority stance was on this simple topic. Since many of us feed at least "medium quality" to good quality food, I would be interested to know if you are feeding similar quality treats to your food, or a significantly higher/lower grade.

I'm talking the every day dog biscuit. Ours, for example, have training treats and then they get a large biscuit each night when they go to bed. Also have another kind of treat for their treat toys.

I have seen some who feed grain free foods and discuss the benefits, but don't think a thing of feeding milkbones, and then yet others who don't feel the more pricey foods are worth it, but feed high quality treats.

I'll try to make a variety of poll options so everyone can find their fit. As always this poll will be anonymous so be honest. ;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I feed only homemade treats (bacon, cheese, & peanut butter ones). The church that my dad goes to, the ladies there bake them and then sell them for money for the church. My dog LOVES them.

Wasn't sure where to put that on the option list. :)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feed only homemade treats (bacon, cheese, & peanut butter ones). The church that my dad goes to, the ladies there bake them and then sell them for money for the church. My dog LOVES them.

Wasn't sure where to put that on the option list. :)
Darnit, the one thing I didn't think of! :rolleyes::D haha...

I guess I'd say grain free treats perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
32,425 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer - I feed grain free food, but not grain free treats. I've used a pretty wide variety of treats, but they're all high quality.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I feed raw, and for training treats give string cheese, natural balance rolls. I should invest in a dehydrator and make my own liver, meat training treats, but the natural balance is so convenient, and I trust it for the most part.
I never give biscuits, or cookies, but I have exotic birds that eat pellets, so the dogs do get a bit of grains when they clean up the tossed food. Peanut Butter Capt'n Crunch is my African greys favorite treat, and the dogs love it too, when he calls them over and tosses it.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I make beef crunchies too. I also use string cheese or cubed cooked chicken. Very rarely do I use a hot dog, but it's been known to happen

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I chose the first option (grain free) because right now I am feeding Instinct Rabbit but I also sometimes feed a raw diet.
Mostly I use 100% meat treats, often freeze-dried treats, Ziwipeak, or raw treats like Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Crunch. I also sometimes use "Real Meat" brand treats, Wellness Pure Bites, and Dr Becker's Bites.
I really only use treats for training or to put in Bianca's Dog Brick puzzle, I don't generally give them "just because" ie for a treat so to speak...for that I give chewies such as raw bones, beef tendons, bully sticks...
Sometimes I make my own treats but that's usually just for special occasions.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I feed Natural Balance food rolls for tracking and obedience training. For desensitizing Hunther to other dogs, I use hot dogs, and that's the only time he gets them. Don't ask me why, but he goes nuts for them.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I fed raw and feed chicken, beef, liver, cheese as treats. It's hard to get the NB rolls here so I don't often feed those, but I have in the past. I too would love a dehydrator to make it easier. Right now I put everything (minus the cheese) in the over and broil it to death. :)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I feed a high-quality food and either all-beef hotdogs, turkey hotdogs, cheese cubes, or home-made dog cookies for treats.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I generally feed grain free, high quality treats, but have started baking tuna/cheese/sweet potato/garlic treats that Frag likes, so I think I'm going to contine that. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
I feed raw, and usually use things like hotdog bits or cheese as treats.

However, I will pick up a bag of high end treats like Zukes or the Natural Balance/Blue Buffalo soft training treats when they are a good price.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
However, I will pick up a bag of high end treats like Zukes or the Natural Balance/Blue Buffalo soft training treats when they are a good price.
ARE they ever a good price? It seems like I spend an arm and a leg on a bag or three of these a week... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I had to vote different treats because for training I will use hot dogs, cheese or steak tidbits. Every night after thier last potty trip they get a milkbone cookie, which I know is bad. And now for the first time I finally baked treats, I made liver brownies for them on friday and OMG they absolutely love them. My hubby told me make sure next time he wasn't home, he said they stunk up the house.

·
Registered
445 Posts
When I do feed my dogs treats it's usually just grocery store brand. I don't feed them treats often though. Only when I'm outside working with them. However I haven't been feeding them grocery store brand treats lately. I just take the dog food I use and put some in a ziploc baggie and then use that when I'm working with them.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I rotate dog foods and they get grain free and high quality food with grains as well. The treats I feed are usually grain free b/c those go on sale the most when I shop it seems. I also do the Natural Balance rolls.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Same rules apply to both: no corn, wheat, soy, gluten, by-product meal. My treats are almost exclusively NB food roll, Zuke's minis, or tidbits of whatever sandwich meat or cheese is in the fridge. Sometimes I nuke a chicken breast and rip that up. Often on the way to Schutzhund I stop and get a pre-made sub at a Speedway, and for tracking I take off the bologna pieces and drop it on my track (or feed from my hand to Nikon since he doesn't get food on his track).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts