German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So both my GSD's came back with a lyme positive test. Doing some research, it sounds like the recommended aggressive treatment plan is 5 mg of Doxy per lb for 8 weeks. My vet only wants to do 4 weeks and as I haven't picked up the medication yet, I'm not sure of their recommended dose (although I would imagine it's also 5 mg per lb).

I'd like to just buy the medicine on my own and treat on my own. I just want to make sure there's nothing more I need to know other than the plan I mentioned above.

I plan on buying this
Doxycycline 100mg generic for 100mg | generic version

My one dog will get 5 of these a day as he's 100 lbs, my other dog is 90 lb's. So in that case, can I give her 4 100mg pills and break one in half to give her the other 50 mg she needs?

Is there anything I'm missing? I will of course retest afterwards and will also be asking for a blood panel to check kidney function. This post is only about the doxy. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right and the product I picked is correct.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Don't you need a prescription? How will you get one if the vet won't give it to you?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Why aren't you asking your vet about this plan? Instead of coming here for advice on treatment, I think you should be getting it from your vet -- even if you are planning to order meds online. Make it an honest conversation with your vet, and they'll likely be very helpful to you in formulating your plan.

I order meds online routinely, with my vet's blessing, from an accredited, state-licensed, Vet-VIPPS certified pharmacy in the U.S. (or sometimes a compounding pharmacy). My vet faxes in the RX when needed and gives me dosing instructions, follows up to make sure it's working appropriately, etc. In other words, we still work together on good care.

For Doxy, depending on the dose, you may want to ask your vet about compounding pharmacies, if they are an option in Canada. Our local rescue's vet in the U.S. orders 400 mg. quad-scored, chicken-flavored tablets of Doxy from a compounding pharmacy for HW treatment (which is a 30-day treatment), at a much lower price than ordering 100 mg capsules.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Lyme treatment goes far beyond an anti infective medication.

Is your vet Lyme literate?

The entire immune system has to be supported . The immune system will recognize and destroy the microbes , because there will be co-infections taking advantage.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My girl had lyme when she was around 1 yr. My vet was only willing to do a short round of doxy and I was strongly advised to buy more and treat longer. I bought the fish stuff, no perscription. I can't remember how long we did it now, it was a long time ago. She has never tested positive again or had any issues since that. (She is approaching 10yr now)

I am not a vet, vet tech....can't say anything about the safety of the fish antibiotics so try at your own risk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts