German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old GSD puppy shamu has started pooping yellow mucus and tiny bits of blood. His stools are loose and he needs to poop ALOT!

He isn't vomiting, he is active still and eating and drinking fine. He may be sleeping a bit more then usual but is happy in himself.

I read online that virgin coconut oil is good for treating this. So yesterday I gave him two portions. About a tsp of hard oil split in two doses. Maby a bit more.

He has had another dose today. And I plan on giving him another dose later. He isn't used to coconut oil so his bum is sick after about an hour or so. Its just a flat puddle of poop after.

Is it worth carrying on with this? How often should I treat him for and how long for?

I put him on some boiled rice (mixed with a raw egg) and cooked chicken last night and he loves it. (That's when his poop changed from just runny to yellow mucus).

This will run out later and I plan to put him on raw as they poop a lot less so think it will be easyer for him to handle. (i feed about 4 times a day atm)

Also treating him with powdered probiotics which i mix with his food.

Is there anything else i can do for him? :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Coccidia? TAKE THE PUPPY TO THE VET! Get antibiotics
With a young puppy there is not much time between bloody poop and death.
Please do not start a raw diet while he is fighting an infection

Get antibiotics
Then simple diet white rice, cooked ground beef with all fat drained until all better.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Coccidia? TAKE THE PUPPY TO THE VET! Get antibiotics
With a young puppy there is not much time between bloody poop and death.
Please do not start a raw diet while he is fighting an infection

Get antibiotics
Then simple diet white rice, cooked ground beef with all fat drained until all better.
I vote for this too. Bland diet. You can also try cottage cheese and boiled chicken with the white rice. The vets usually sell a low residue canned food that will be easy on your dog's stomach.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't see anywhere where you said he was at the vet, so I'm wondering how you know its coccidia:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts