German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im haven a hard time finding treats that realllly get my Carlo excited...any good recommendations?? it makes gettin him to focus very difficult...also he is on pedigree puppy...i looked at the ingredience the first is corn...ive read Grain free food is better...any suggestions on what to feed him?? he doesnt get overly excited to eat either....

·
Registered
32,874 Posts
Pedigree is garbage. Do your research on the foods and look for one with appropriate calcium for a large breed puppy. There are lots of threads on foods. :)

You could make your own treats. Cook some chicken breast, Nuke some hotdogs so they aren't quite so greasy, or just cut them up as is. There are recipes for treats also. Jax likes the peanut butter treats. Mother Hubbard makes good treats.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Pedigree isn't the greatest and yes, I prefer to feed a grain-free. You can look up many threads on feeding puppies here or look at www.petfoodanalysis.com. Naturally, the grain free will be more expensive but you can get decent foods like 4Health, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Blue Buffalo at Tractor Supply stores. If you're feeding a puppy formula, make sure it's a large breed puppy. As far as training treats, I use string cheese, cubed cooked chicken, sometimes turkey hot dogs.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I use homemade treats that the church my dad goes to bakes for extra money. Uschi loves them. But for training treats I use cut up hotdogs. She will do anything for them. LOL

As for food...I agree with the others...there are a lot of really good grain free foods on the market. I personally use Blue Buffalo and my dog seems to really like it. Just do some research and you'll find something your dog enjoys.

·
Super Moderator
32,802 Posts
Im haven a hard time finding treats that realllly get my Carlo excited...any good recommendations??
What have you tried so far? It would be easier to know what kinds of treats he doesn't care for in order to make suggestions of something better. If you're using milk bones or something similar, practically ANYTHING would be better! But if he turns his nose up at cheese or hot dogs.....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Agreed with the above. Also consider different treats for different locations. At home my dog works great with just carrot pieces, but off leash training outside requires more enticing items.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
umm he seems to like hotdogs the best...but nothing crazy...ive tried dried livers..cut up peices of this all natural treat they were doing a promo on at petsmart i got for free...and just his actual food...one peice at a time...
Jax...i have considered a raw diet but i dont know if i have the time to prepare...i found one recipe for a mixture of nutritional items plus ground beef as the main ingredient that is supposed to put weight steadily on a young pup...it was actually on a Schutzhund info website...I was thinkn about trying that...ill post if i can find it again.

·
Registered
32,874 Posts
Jax...i have considered a raw diet but i dont know if i have the time to prepare...i found one recipe for a mixture of nutritional items plus ground beef as the main ingredient that is supposed to put weight steadily on a young pup...it was actually on a Schutzhund info website...I was thinkn about trying that...ill post if i can find it again.
Nix that recipe. :) Go to rawdogranch.com. You don't need recipes. Just meat, a scale and a freezer. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cheeese is def the key!! did on stick this morning when i got to work...training him to sit....and one a minute ago...he has sitz down...now we are working on plotz...hes got the motion but hasnt 100% picked up the command word yet...im using a combo of clicker and positive reinforcement compulsion....i def find you can treat enough...the more you treat they more they want...and want to do for you!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
How old is your dog? Just be careful with grain free foods if the Ca and P levels are too high and he is under a year old.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
glad he likes the cheese:) Another one you can try, I use frozen italian meatballs, nuke a few, squeeze out the juice cut up into tiny pieces..easy to handle, and heck if you get hungry you can have some to:)))

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.