German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Forumites:

I apologize if it seems like I've been remiss in posting new Athena-and-Hamilton news. The truth is, most of my postings end up on my Shepherd Girl: A Dog Story's Facebook page instead of here. Those who may have seen recent updates on Facebook know that I bought Athena a dog treadmill. I bought it for one main reason: as she ages, our disgusting, swampy Northern Virginia summers are just too much for her to stay outside long.

Athena is no stranger to a treadmill, but you wouldn't know it. As is her usual tendency when expected to focus, she tilts her head, deposits her brain out of her ear onto the floor, and grins like an idiot whenever I put her on the thing. I wrote on Facebook that trying to get her to walk on the treadmill correctly is like trying to steady a camel on roller skates. She *knows* how to do it, but she flaps her flipper paws this way and that, zig-zags and acts generally silly.

The true treadmill ace turned out to be Hamilton my Ragdoll kitten. Yes, the cat LOVES it. He likes to "walk walk walk" and also be placed on the ramp for "rides".

"You need to get video of him!" people have yelled. I actually DO have video of him, but my giggling and chatter are so embarrassing that I haven't posted it on any of my Shepherd Girl pages. It's on YouTube, is all I'll say about that. :blush:

Any of your GSDs use a treadmill? Any of your CATS? (shifty eyes)

Cat

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hahaha - I found the video! :D Hamilton is adorable!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the winter or if its raining I sometime take Rocco over to my parents house and use their treadmill in the basement. Only took 2 visits to be able to go without leash. I can walk around the room or sit on the couch and he will continue to walk until he gets tired and will just jump off to the side. He usually goes anywhere from 20-50 minutes, I turn the incline up and basically adjust according to his breathing. Sleeps like a baby afterwards. No way I would be able to continuously walk up hill like that to get him that tired in the winter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the winter or if its raining I sometime take Rocco over to my parents house and use their treadmill in the basement. Only took 2 visits to be able to go without leash. I can walk around the room or sit on the couch and he will continue to walk until he gets tired and will just jump off to the side. He usually goes anywhere from 20-50 minutes, I turn the incline up and basically adjust according to his breathing. Sleeps like a baby afterwards. No way I would be able to continuously walk up hill like that to get him that tired in the winter.
HMcK: That is fantastic! I wish Athena was that good at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts