German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my almost 4 yr old boy neutered 3 days ago. Everything is going well at this point. But he is raring to go! My vet gave me some trazadone to help keep him quiet if needed. So far I haven't used it. I may have to once my 6 month old female comes back home. (she is with a friend for 5 days so my boy can rest) Not sure how to keep him quiet as they both usually play a lot. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I had to use the Traz after a very delicate eye surgery on my dog -- he had to be kept very quiet in order to not mess it up as the suture thread was finer than a human hair. It just made him pretty mellow and sleepy. Sometimes it's just necessary for their own good, unfortunately.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Had my almost 4 yr old boy neutered 3 days ago. Everything is going well at this point. But he is raring to go! My vet gave me some trazadone to help keep him quiet if needed. So far I haven't used it. I may have to once my 6 month old female comes back home. (she is with a friend for 5 days so my boy can rest) Not sure how to keep him quiet as they both usually play a lot. Any ideas?
Keep them separated. This is where crate training and a solid place command come in handy. Don't stop unwanted interactions prevent them. If you can't maintain control when they are together keep them separated until your male has healed.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It works with no after effects. How long does he need to stay quiet?
About a week to 10 days. My little girl is coming home tonight. I will crate him if I have to for tonight and see how tomorrow goes. He is raring to go. His incision looks good and all is going in the right direction. Guess I will give him the meds if necessary.
How long did everyone else have to wait before letting their boy play again?

·
Super Moderator
6,970 Posts
About a week to 10 days. My little girl is coming home tonight. I will crate him if I have to for tonight and see how tomorrow goes. He is raring to go. His incision looks good and all is going in the right direction. Guess I will give him the meds if necessary.
How long did everyone else have to wait before letting their boy play again?
Raring to go?
I would give him the trazadone...and crate.
“Play” as in run and wrestle? The full 10 days.... there is more to an incision than what you can see on the surface.

I’m not one to medicate unnecessarily, but in your case I wouldn’t hesitate... can I ask why the resistance?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Raring to go?
I would give him the trazadone...and crate.
“Play” as in run and wrestle? The full 10 days.... there is more to an incision than what you can see on the surface.

I’m not one to medicate unnecessarily, but in your case I wouldn’t hesitate... can I ask why the resistance?
Yes...run and wrestle and everything in between. He has been good at staying relaxed up until now. He wants to go but will settle when told. Definitely will have to do something tomorrow....crate or meds or both. Brought my girl home earlier this evening and they were excited to see each other. Was able to keep things under control after the initial greetings. And both were able to calm down and relax. But I know in the morning all bets are off.
I guess I am hesitant with new medications as I am concerned about side effects and bad reactions. But I really do not want to undo all the good progress we have made. Wish I could have had my girl stay away from home a few more days...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts