German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a GSD just 7 months old along with an indian breed small dog. Me and myself bought a car recently as we like to go out on vacations by car. We would love to take our dogs as well however we are not sure if our dogs can handle the travel.

Give me some basic suggestions, do's and don'ts.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dogs love cars! Try starting with small trips to the store, around town, etc. and see how he likes it. We crossed the country with our pitty who was a cry baby for the first hour until he discovered stopping at Burger King a nice girl would hand him a hamburger and nights were spent at hotels. He really enjoyed the attention he got when he strutted up to the front desk like he owned the place.

Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Get them used to riding in a harness belted in with the seatbelt, or in a crate. Much safer for the dogs and you--loose dogs become projectiles in a crash!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
We took our GSD on a 12-14 hours drive to the place we were staying. Plan for stops every couple of hours. Make sure your dogs are up to date on vaccinations if possible (required here) to protect them as you stop along the way. I took bottled water for us and the dog. I took a long leash so he could play and still be safe, along with some of his favorite toys.

·
Registered
931 Posts
My dogs travel 3 hours virtually every or every other weekend all year. They love it, just keep water and a leash for unforeseens.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We go on week+ long trips, stay at motels, Pepper is great, likes to ride, got take water, a bowl to drink out of at pit stops, food, treats, bring the balls and thrower. We have stayed at the convention hotel with 5000+ attendees, ride the elevators and esclators, she is pretty bullet proof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts