German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So, every June my husband and our kids take a 6 hour car trip to visit family out of state. This year, Apollo is coming with us! He will be about 7 months old.

My dad who we’re staying with is really excited to have Apollo there- he’s got a fenced in yard and he’s a dog person (he’s already planning what we can do with Apollo when we visit!) so I think once we get there it’ll all be great. I’m just worried about the journey there! I’ve finally figured out traveling with young kids...now I have to figure out traveling with a young dog LOL.

Any wisdom you guys have to share with me for long ish car trips with dogs?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Back in the day (almost 30 years ago), I used to take my dogs (both GSD mixes) with me on 3 day long trips down to Florida to visit family. I think you'll be fine with your 6 hour drive, since you'll be stopping every so often for your kids to get food or use the facilities anyway.

I would invest in an extra dog tag that has the phone number of your out of state family or your cell number (in addition to your home phone number).

Even if the weather is perfect for it, please don't leave your dog in the car at highway rest stops or restaurants. You never know what yahoo might break into your car to take your pup. Or break into your car to take something else and let your pup run off.

Have a great trip. It's fantastic that your puppy can join you!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Good advice from others. We travel often with Rusty. Our longest trip 9-10 hours one way. Now granted we’re not traveling with little ones and he has the entire backseat of my husbands truck to himself. What has been a lifesaver is the Ruffwear dirtbag seat cover. He’s so comfy in it. His feet can’t get on the floorboard, so he doesn’t have to balance on the seat. We also fill up a large cooler of icy water and keep it in the truck bed for rest stop breaks. Our truck has a cap over the bed for all of our gear, it works out very well.

Have fun on your trip. I like how your dad is excited about your pup coming, my dad is the same way. Even though Rusty only sees him about 5 times a year, he acts like they are long lost bro’s. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts