German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 and a half month old puppy.
He has been on a few car rides. He is willing to voluntarily get into the car, and enjoys rides to some extent. But if we do not reach our destination within half an hour he starts to whine. Hence I do not take him for longer rides yet as I do not want him to hate getting into the car.

• I try periodically giving him treats - like whenever we stop at a red light.
  • I am trying to find interesting places to take him, but the area I live is not very pet friendly.

Is there anything else I can do to prepare him for a long 6-8 hour trip ?
Although I can stop every one or two hours to give him a break etc, at this time I don't think he will want to get back in the car if we go for a longish journey and stop after an hour.

I am considering visiting a mountainous area for a few days, but will not go unless I feel he will have a good time. Any suggestions on how to prepare him, and ensure the car ride is enjoyable ?

Also, once we get there, it will be an unfamiliar place - I can take his bed, toys and food, but the environment will still be new to him. What can I do to ensure he is at ease ? He normally sleeps next to me anyway, but right now at home if we try to sleep in a different room he goes back to the room we usual sleep in (probably because he hasn't had access to these other rooms before, so there is probably no familiar smell in it)

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Also…If I were to travel to a remote area, I would like to be prepared in case of any eventuality, so I can meet my puppies needs. Such areas may not have access to a vet, or to pet supplies that one may find in a big city, so I would like to ensure I am carrying everything I can possibly need.

Here is what I have considered so far:

• Food
  • bed
  • Toys
  • Medication : Need to consult a vet, but would like suggestions from people here, as my vet may not think of everything.
  • Multiple leashes / harnesses

What else ?

· Administrator
The Nerd Herder
7,568 Posts
Just live your life with your dog. The biggest thing is that you are there. Take a break every couple hours and let him stretch his legs and play a little.

We camp full time and have been all over the country with the dogs. Never a worry about strange environments or new places. Those are interesting and fun things.

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just live your life with your dog. The biggest thing is that you are there. Take a break every couple hours and let him stretch his legs and play a little.

We camp full time and have been all over the country with the dogs. Never a worry about strange environments or new places. Those are interesting and fun things.
Great to hear 👍 May I ask what you carry for your dog ?

· Administrator
The Nerd Herder
7,568 Posts
Great to hear 👍 May I ask what you carry for your dog ?
I'm assuming you mean for an outing or day trip? We live in our RV, so we generally have all the dog stuff with us all the time.

For short trips without the RV, I have a backpack that lives in the truck. It has a first aid kit, spare collars and leashes, spare bumper, muzzle, a few bottles of water, a day worth of dry food, collapsible bowl, poop bags, dry wash, microfiber towel. I think that's about it.

· Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,975 Posts
We also live and travel in an RV, we pull a 5th wheel trailer. So my dogs regularly spend 5 to 6 hours riding in the back seat of our pickup.

We fold the rear seat up and have dog beds on the floor and chew toys. We also have spill proof water bowl.

We take breaks regularly, good for both dogs and humans, at most we go 2 hours between breaks.

If you're sure the whine is not because bathroom break is needed, then it same as a kid saying, "I'm bored, are we there yet".

I would keep going until they settle then take a short break and back to traveling.

Mine have been traveling since we got them at 8 weeks, back then it was a potty break every 30 minutes, really made travel days long but fun too.

My girl will get all whiny and excited still but only when she thinks we are headed to a training field or passing Tractor Supply without stopping.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
My dog whines in the car whenever he thinks we aren't going fast enough. It's not constant, just letting me know he doesn't approve of our slowing down.

He doesn't seem to understand the concept of stopping for red lights or slowing down in traffic. He stops whining as soon as we get back to his approved speed.

· Premium Member
194 Posts
Incremental increase in trip duration, bringing her favorite toys and treats helped in training.
My 4 year old does great in the car..until it stops and we get to our destination, trailheads are the worst. Pet wipes, collapsible food and water bowls for the trip, secure collar that will not let him slip out of during stops.

· Registered
8,055 Posts
I travel 3 hours twice a week with 2 dogs ~dozens of times per year.
I wouldn't jump right into a 6-8 hour trip but if they can do an hour or two, they can do 6, stopping every 2-3 hours.

The simplest thing that really helps if weather permits, is putting a window or two down a third. When my dogs get restless or whine, it immediately stops with the fresh air and new smells introduced.

Sky Dog Dog breed Vehicle Wheel

I even let them hang their heads out:eek: in a time honored dog celebration that all dogs seem to love.

Bear - 2 year old male GSD, 5 cats, a snake and 6 rats.
409 Posts
I'm assuming you mean for an outing or day trip? We live in our RV, so we generally have all the dog stuff with us all the time.

For short trips without the RV, I have a backpack that lives in the truck. It has a first aid kit, spare collars and leashes, spare bumper, muzzle, a few bottles of water, a day worth of dry food, collapsible bowl, poop bags, dry wash, microfiber towel. I think that's about it.
You live in your RV? What an absolute dream! That’s my goal for the future.

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for the list! 👍 🙏

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We also live and travel in an RV, we pull a 5th wheel trailer. So my dogs regularly spend 5 to 6 hours riding in the back seat of our pickup.

We fold the rear seat up and have dog beds on the floor and chew toys. We also have spill proof water bowl.

We take breaks regularly, good for both dogs and humans, at most we go 2 hours between breaks.

If you're sure the whine is not because bathroom break is needed, then it same as a kid saying, "I'm bored, are we there yet".

I would keep going until they settle then take a short break and back to traveling.

Mine have been traveling since we got them at 8 weeks, back then it was a potty break every 30 minutes, really made travel days long but fun too.

My girl will get all whiny and excited still but only when she thinks we are headed to a training field or passing Tractor Supply without stopping.
Great advice, and you're absolutely right! I think my pup is also "I'm bored. Are we there yet?" :ROFLMAO:... so far not once as he needed a bathroom break when whining...if I stop along the side of a road he just seems a bit confused that we aren't anywhere yet... and seems willing to get back in the car....

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dog whines in the car whenever he thinks we aren't going fast enough. It's not constant, just letting me know he doesn't approve of our slowing down.

He doesn't seem to understand the concept of stopping for red lights or slowing down in traffic. He stops whining as soon as we get back to his approved speed.
Haha... my pup barks at any cars he feels are getting too close...At traffic lights I normally give him a piece of kibble. I have no idea what he must be thinking about our car trips yet. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Incremental increase in trip duration, bringing her favorite toys and treats helped in training.
My 4 year old does great in the car..until it stops and we get to our destination, trailheads are the worst. Pet wipes, collapsible food and water bowls for the trip, secure collar that will not let him slip out of during stops.
Thank you for the awesome list 🙏

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I travel 3 hours twice a week with 2 dogs ~dozens of times per year.
I wouldn't jump right into a 6-8 hour trip but if they can do an hour or two, they can do 6, stopping every 2-3 hours.

The simplest thing that really helps if weather permits, is putting a window or two down a third. When my dogs get restless or whine, it immediately stops with the fresh air and new smells introduced.

View attachment 595717
I even let them hang their heads out:eek: in a time honored dog celebration that all dogs seem to love.
I would love to that! At this time I am travelling alone, so haven't yet decided how good an idea it is for me. Still trying to think of everything. I am looking at a harness from Trixie that attaches to the seat belt.

· Super Moderator
6,407 Posts
We are full time RVers, too.
If you're are on the major interstates, some of the big truck stops ( Loves, Pilot ) have dog parks. They are hit or miss because so many are filthy. No idea why people think they don't have to clean up poop at a truck stop. I find a long leash at a rest stop is typically a better choice. Make sure too look for the dog waking areas. They will often have bags and a trash can there.

· Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,975 Posts
By the way, 6 hours is a long time to drive. We usually they to keep it planned under 4, which means we'll be driving 5 hours. If you map says anything over a couple of hours, add an hour. The further you go the more likely it will take longer than planned.
So true. We plan for 3 to 3.5 hours of actual driving time. Any longer and this old body really feels it, we have pushed it 5 hours of driving on occasion. Most of our pit stops are for me to stretch and refresh than they are for the dogs.

· Registered
8,055 Posts
Haha... my pup barks at any cars he feels are getting too close...At traffic lights I normally give him a piece of kibble. I have no idea what he must be thinking about our car trips yet. :ROFLMAO:
Make sure you are giving him the kibble for being quiet, not to be quiet after barking or you'll create a barker in order to get the reward!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts