German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traveling to Key West with a dog.....

Can it be done? I am planning a trip to Florida in January to get out of Alaska, and also see the people that I got Perle from. We have become friends, and we call each other all the time. When I was there last year, I had hoped that Perle and I could make the trip after taking care of all of her travel needs, however, it took us a lot longer than I thought, and I ran out of time. I would love to tote Perle along this year, and let her see her old family again, but when they heard I was going to the Keyes, they thought it would be fun to plan a trip together, so I am trying to find out if there is anything I would need in addition to her health certificate. We would be flying to Tampa, where I will be renting a car, going to Ft Myers, and then on the Key West. Any advise would appreciated.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Re: Traveling to Key West with a dog.....

I'm not sure what you are asking Richard, it can be done at some cost and inconvenience to you.

Key West is very dog friendly or at least always has been. I haven't been down there for a couple of years.

I've never rented a car with a dog before, I don't think that should be a problem.

Make sure rabies is up to date and we do treat for heartworm year around. We also have fleas in the winter so you may want to keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts

I stayed in a resort a few years ago in Isalamarda that was very dog friendly and isolated. I think they only had 7 cabins so it was pretty peaceful. It was on the water.

Key West did have plenty of rentals that advertised dog friendly and I remember several of the shops allowed dogs.

Have fun!

I lived in the keys in the late 70's early 80's. Boy has it changed.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

gosh richard, i confess when i read your post i was concerned...but i have a reputation as a worrier. she'd have to fly cargo, then do all that driving (riding), in strange places with you, stay in strange places...it seems like so many opportunities for problems to arise. more a matter (to me), of is it wise to do it, rather than can it be done. in the end, of course, it'll have to be you who decides whether it's wise, but i'm guessing that maybe what motivated you to ask for opinions was some kinda little doubt down deep somewhere. whatever you decide, be careful and travel safe.

ps...not trying to be a downer here, admittedly i'm a worrier and don't do the travel thing anymore. just sharing my thoughts, that was why i didn't reply at first, didn't want to be a downer.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

I travel around lots by truck with my dogs but the plane would have me worried. That's not easy on dogs. I know she's done it once before but it is fair to put her through that again twice? Also, that's a pretty huge climate change for her at this time of the year. That's the kind of stuff I'd think about.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It is a crapshoot either way I go this year. I have decided for various reasons to drop my dogsitter, and instead use the kennel I have been using over the past few years, and take one of the dogs with me. Perle is the most traveled, having gone overseas and all around the US with her previous owners, so I don't worry too much about her. In another year, I will probably reconsider, as she will be 9 years old. Thanks for you input and concerns everybody, unfortunatley, dogs take the hit when you travel whether you take them with, or leave them behind, and I do wish there was something I could do to make it easier on them(and myself), and I have allevieated alot of that by simply limiting my travels, unless in the RV.

·
Registered
368 Posts

I was in KW several years ago for Christmas, and some of the nicest restaurants there allowed dogs in with owners. They even put out water bowls while the people were eating. I am from Ohio and that is not allowed here, but it was so cool to see that! Very dog-friendly place not to mention A LOT of fun!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts

Only advice i can give: Major potty break before you get on the bridge.

Have fun.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Hubby & I have lived in Florida and took a road trip to Key West when we only had Willow...which even in Florida is a long trip when your up close to the top. Key West is very dog-friendly. There are beaches for them to swim and lots of places to stay. We stayed at a B&B near the main drag. Restaurants were all but dragging us into them with Willow. What fun.

Willow travels very well, and she loved all of the attention she got from tourists who were traveling without their beloved animals.

When we relocated back to the north, we had Willow and Oakley. Oakley doesn't travel as well as his sister but we took lots of breaks and he was fine. He was nervous and not real hungry.

We had hoped to purchase a travel trailer (before all the gas prices went up) and travel down to Florida with all three dogs sometime over this winter. We have since found out that not all camp grounds allow dogs, or certain breeds of dogs. Not a big deal, just a fact to consider.

As far as certificates, I think we had to provide a copy of the rabies certificate and proof of some kind of flea repellent at the place we stayed.

Key West with your canine companion will be a blast!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts

Car rental + dog = doable. Just note that they may charge you an extra fee if there's lots of dog hair left in the car.

DH & I rented a car to go to MN. We were going to get a cargo van (think big and empty) for the space and ease of cleaning but the gas prices were just too much. So we went with a SUV/Minivan type thing. Riggs, Tazer, Winnie and Kaynya in the vehicle with us. Six hours up, six hours back. Cleaned the car and turned it in - they never said anything.

Get leather interior if you can and buy a blanket to put on the back seat.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've flown a past dog in cargo for a personal trip and my advice to myself " NEVER AGAIN". Too many problems and the poor dog is the helpless victim.

On top of that - discussed these problems with my adult son who is a Commercial Pilot for the majors and his advice
when I asked how to overcome some of the problems I encountered was "Don't Do It". He knew my dog was like my kid and he had seen some horrible results of dogs in cabins so I forever after took his advice and said no more cargo flying for that dog or any future dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PSL Schedule 2020
Searching for PSL 2020 Schedule? Yes, you are in the right place. Here you will find the PSL Schedule 2020 complete matches details. PSL 2020 Schedule Fixture Time table has been announced by PCB. Pakistan Super League (PSL), within no time, has become one of the top domestic cricket leagues in the world that are known for bringing exciting and tough cricket matches. PSL has seen 4 seasons so far and in 2020, we will be enjoying the HBL PSL 2020 or PSL 5. If you are here to get the PSL 2020 Schedule Pdf, we are here for you guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts