German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a trip from NYS to FL (about 1500 miles). I would like to take ARABELLE with me. She is 12 years old and is a seasoned traveler. However, she has never spent much more than three or four hours in the car at one time. The plan is to make the trip in three days - 500 miles per day. I'm thinking that those 500 miles would take about 7 hours +or-. I would expect that there would be several human and canine stops along the way.

What do you think? Would it be too much for her?

Thanks for your input!!

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
I road tripped with my old girl right up until 13, no problems at all. She did better in vehicles with a cargo area, allowing her to move / shift / stretch / stay comfortable...because she did have advanced arthritis and HD. Generally speaking tho, it’s not anything I even thought twice about specifically regarding age. Just normal stops and considerations.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that's good to hear. I have an SUV and I turn the back seats down whenever she rides so she has lots of room plus a comfortable bed.

·
Registered
770 Posts
We've done this trip several times from Ontario with our older guy in the back of the SUV. If you are using interstates there are so many rest stops along the way, usually a big one right after a state line is crossed. Stop every few hours for some exercise and a potty break for both humans and the pup. Take your own water and food along to keep diet consistent. Include a dog bed or several blankets to give a soft resting place. Keep her securely leashed whenever out of the car. Have an ID tag on her with your contact information. Three days is a pretty gentle pace, we have done it in two. Everyone should be fine!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I think it's great you're bringing her along! Like everyone else said lots of potty breaks :). Just be careful here in Florida if it's your first time, we are having really bad fleas and ticks down here right now.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You'll be fine. I've always done long road trips with dogs. Bring a long rope or long line for leg stretching potty breaks or if she still plays a bit. Humans need breaks too, so I don't think you need to over think the 'when' to stop stuff. Maybe check out where there are picnic area rest stops where you can all have a nice break and walk and stretch a bit.
Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts