German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear GSD family,

We are looking for a Larger crate that is light and folds and such to make it easier to bring Harley everywhere. We really want to find something that is a bit stronger for a big girl. Live in MN so it will be both too hot and too cold so I have been looking at ones with fly zippers all the way to insulated covers and shading. Is their a brand you like? A brand you hate? Features that make or break it for you? Carabiners? YKK zippers?

We have a standard wire crate at home that will always be her personal space but we want our GSD with all of the time.

Pic for ATTN of what I am kind of looking at. THNX for Looking!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
If something like that will hold her, what is the point of a crate at all? You say stronger, but that looks like something a chihuahua would break out of by jumping on the wall a few times. I personally would want something hard sided without mesh. A dog with any desire to get out would tear through that mesh in minutes.

How old is the dog?

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
How old is the dog? Most young GSDs I've known would have a hole open in that thing in under 5 minutes. The mesh would be toast in less than that. My blind dog could manipulate the zippers and let himself out, as he's a puzzle master. I wouldn't count on that thing for much, other than leaving it open to create an "atmosphere" of a den, if that's important to your dog.

I travel with my dog a lot -- without a crate. He's a perfect gentleman in hotels. I have a travel dog bed that goes with us. I don't leave him in the room unattended, other than going downstairs to grab a plate of breakfast to bring to the room. I map out restaurants with dog patios for dinner. If I need to shop for a few hours, he's "approved" to go to any Camp Bow Wow nationwide (which requires passing their initial assessment of NO dog reactivity).

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Yeah, my GSD would handle that soft crate like a rag doll.

I recently bought a Ruff Tough Kennel, although it does not fold.

I also looked at Impact Crate brand.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
We take crates to dog shows and hotels all the time. A folding wire crate. If you need to cover it, there are crate covers to buy, or cover it with an old sheet or blanket.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, it really depends on the dog. One of my dogs also needs something a little more solid because he figured out that he can easily destroy the door material and escape...
My other dog is perfectly fine within a crate like this, she has never even tried to get out/destroy it:

Almost all of the agility people here in Germany have crates like these because they are just easy to fold up - and most importantly they're not as heavy as the wire crates. It's also quite steady because there is some construction inside (unfortunately I have no idea how to describe it , therefore check the video around the 55 seconds mark in case you're interested):

Like I said, really depends on the dog and if he tries to escape or not. I really like that kind of crate for trials and also if we stay in a hotel.

I don't really know which brands you have in America, but I'm sure there are several that have a similar contruction to the one in the video. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
I have Noz to Noz crates, which I really like. They're sturdy and I can fold and unfold one by myself while holding my dog's leash. Halo used one for flyball for 5 years, in classes, at practice, at tournaments, and in hotel room. Then she decided to break out at practice one day and I wasn't able to use a soft crate for her anymore. Any GSD can break out of a soft crate, but that doesn't mean they will. I have one for Keefer too, and he's never tried to break out but we've only used it a couple of times, for hotel rooms when traveling.

https://www.chewy.com/firstrax-noz2noz-sof-krate-n2-series/dp/56728

After Halo killed it, I got a folding wire crate. It's much heavier but works well, and she never tried to get out of it during her last year of flyball. Some dogs will though. Both the soft crate and the wire crate fit easily behind the front seats in my Highlander SUV, and the soft crate fit in the same area in my much smaller Audi A3 wagon. I don't know if the wire crate would fit there or not, I haven't tried it.

Midwest is a good brand of folding wire crate. I think I got the medium duty one, not the heaviest and not the lightest. I don't recall what the model was named. Mine has one door, but you can also get two door versions. Both the wire and soft crates are the 36" size. For airflow, the wire crate would be better than a soft crate. You can easily attach a fan to the wire mesh.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I bought this crate. I like it and the dog likes it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QFWCLY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
It's airier than a plastic or fabric crate, definitely sturdier and more secure, and it has a plastic tray that slides out of the bottom for cleaning. Take-down and set-up is easy. It will just fit in the back of my Jeep Cherokee when folded and I'm taking it on vacation so the dog can come with and stay in a hotel with us.

Bought a cover for it too, to make it more den-like.
I have a plastic airline-approved kennel too, but the dog barely tolerates it. I think he feels it's too stuffy in there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the Midwest crate, too, I really like it. Easy for me to set up and take down, even with my low-functioning hands. I have a sheet over it so it’s more den-like.

I think Beau likes it, too. He stays in the crate when I need to leave him alone, and often goes in on his own during the day. He goes in his crate when he sees me holding the bottle of ear cleaning solution lol. He likes me to leave the door open, though, when I’m home.

The current pic on the Amazon link looks like him.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I also have noz to noz crates. Its a matter of training. I don't leave Beau unsupervised with one but can certainly take him to a hotel and have him spend the night there or handle me taking a shower or running back and forth to my car.

·
Registered
16,066 Posts
I think the consensus is that it's all "which dog." I have a soft crate that I've never used. Bought it second hand at the humane society junk store. My favorite is the Furrarri by DogLoo (sp questionable on mfg & model but hey). They are airline style crates but unless you are flying the dog, the latches that hold the top and bottom together are enough --- this makes it easy to take apart and move --- another bonus is that the door opens from either side. The real downside of these is apparently they are no longer being made. I looked several places for a second one and couldn't find one for sale. When one appeared at a junk store, it went home with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts