German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Izzy is approaching her 1st birthday and I am preparing to transition her to adult food. I am currently feeding Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy and she has done well on that. I’m leaning toward transitioning to Acana Heritage Poultry for her adult diet. I was wondering if anyone had any experience feeding Acana and what their thoughts on the product were. Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Acana is a excellent kibble and highly rated- IMO. One of the brands we tried when going grain free was Acana Heritage Meats Formula all 3 of my pups loved it and seemed to do great on on it-with no negative side effects. As long as your girl will tolerate chicken w/no allergies and she likes the taste--Acana is a great choice. I could tell my picky eater (Beau) was going to like the Acana by the way he worked the bag over with his nose before I even opened it lol

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why didn't you choose raw food?
Time and money! There are a lot of prepped, complete foods on the market but it gets quite expensive feeding them. Also, there is still prep time involved and in my current dual role as full-time worker and part time student time is a valuable commodity. I also have four dogs that need attention!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hadn't heard of that brand, but I'm glad you posted this. I'll definitely check it out. I've been looking at SportDogFood Elite or Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. I'm in the same boat (almost 1 yr old pup), and have been wondering what to go to next. I feed Diamond Naturals Large Puppy now.

What really caught my attention was that you are switching your pup over at 1 year old. I learned to make the switch at 15-18 months old. Anyone care to weigh in on when the proper time time switch over is and why, and if anyone has experience/opinions on either of the foods linked below compared to the Acana?

https://www.amazon.com/SportDogFood-Elite-Grain-Free-30-Pound/dp/B01BGBD0SA

https://www.chewy.com/diamond-naturals-extreme-athlete/dp/44931?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Diamond&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9L-RkcDz2AIV2rjACh1plAPSEAYYASABEgIzJvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
No experience with Acana, but I feed Farmina Natural and Delicious along with a raw diet. Caveat: I've been really happy with how she does on it, but Farmina is expensive. My butcher charges me about $2.50/lb for the raw base that he mixes and grinds for me, and the Farmina is close to $5/lb. To be fair, I do buy the 5.5 lb bags because my dog is very picky about freshness. If your dog doesn't care and if your dog only eats kibble, the bigger bags are more cost-effective. I fed her Fromm Adult Gold when she was a little puppy (I'd been advised to go right to an adult food for her), and I think it's a great food, but she didn't like it. Farmina is literally the only kibble I've found that she hasn't gotten sick of or outright refused.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Acana is a great choice. I have fed Orijen for years and both my adult (6 years old) and my puppy (almost 10 months old) do great on it. Orijen and Acana are both made by Champion Pet Foods and I wouldn't hesitate to feed or recommend either of them.

As far as when to switch... There's no hard, fast rule... My ten month old, Omen, was switched slowly from Fromm LBP Gold to Orijen Original starting almost as soon as he came home at 8 weeks old. Just about any All Life Stages food can be fed at any age, as long as the levels of calcium are phosphorus are acceptable for a large breed puppy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have friends that feed their GSD's Acana, SportDogFood and Victor, all do well and are healthy working dogs, BUT if your dog does well with Fromm, why not just stick with that?
I’m not thrilled with Fromm’s adult gold formulas; their four star formulas are quite good but for the same price or less I feel I can do better with Acana. That said, Fromm is still in the mix because we’ve been successful on it - I have considered Pinnacle as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts