German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The puppy I am picking up was fed Eukanuba and I am supposed to continue for 6months. I was thinking of switching to Orijen, since my local pet shop carries it. Is it ok to transition him over a week long period (by mixing some of his current food with Orijen)?

Does Orijen have enough calcium in it, to assist, if he were to have any "ears standing up" issues

thanks

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Most here feel Orijen is a top choice for kibble as far as transitioning your puppy the longer the better don't rush it. If you can do it over weeks instead of over 1 week do it.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The puppy I am picking up was fed Eukanuba and I am supposed to continue for 6months.
I'm guessing the breeder says this because they're sponsored by Eukanuba ;)
A friend of mine is sponsored by Purina... She feeds her dogs raw but specially feeds some puppies Purina if they request a "kibble puppy" and sends the leftover Purina with them.
As for the transition question, the longer, the better. Your biggest concern is tummy upset. Millions of genes and factors and generations have gone into this puppy... what you feed him for the first two weeks you have him will have very little to do with how he turns out as an adult so don't stress yourself out too much :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you everyone, this site is great.

Emoore, I believe that is the one. I saw another one that was supposedly ok for any age? (or maybe I am not remembering properly)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts