German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does the transition to adulthood take place? 12 months? 15 months?

and what kind of things change? What kind of temperament/attitude changes will I see? how about physical size? When does a GSD reach full size? Is there anything that once you reach adulthood, the boat already sailed? (ie too late to teach something etc)

I'm sure this has been answered here before and I'm going to search it, but I figured I ask anyways, see if anything has changed.

I'm at 8 months now, so I probably still have some time... Just curious if anything else.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
It’s gradual. My youngest started to settle until adult maturity at 2 1/2, but my others were closer to 3. They were showlines. Dogs mature at different rates, and seem to continue until around age 5. Some of the puppy energy starts calming down sooner, but if you have a high drive dog, drive kicks in, so it’s more complicated.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I had a GSD that had a final remarkable growth spurt at age 2. He was lanky then just beefed up. Not overweight, just head and chest spread.

I think height (I hope) finishes about 10 months or so give or take.

As far as learning new stuff, depends on the dog and the handler, not age. I know people who have rescued 2 year old untrained GSDS and are now doing IPO. Will they win tournaments? No, but they are doing it and enjoying it and are very well trained dogs overall.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It’s gradual. My youngest started to settle until adult maturity at 2 1/2, but my others were closer to 3. They were showlines. Dogs mature at different rates, and seem to continue until around age 5. Some of the puppy energy starts calming down sooner, but if you have a high drive dog, drive kicks in, so it’s more complicated.
What do you mean it kicks in?? I thought we were in it all the way at 11 months lol Oh Lordy....

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
What do you mean it kicks in?? I thought we were in it all the way at 11 months lol Oh Lordy....
If I remember right, that was the timetable with my working line, high drive, bouncy energy dog. I started working with a private trainer when he was an older puppy, and gradually learned to tap into his drive rather than fighting it. By 12 months, he was mellowing a little. By 18 months he was really into training, and I started seeing more attentiveness and focus, but I also worked with him on deliberate eye contact and focus. I attributed some of his behavior changes to his training. At 2 1/2 almost overnight, I noticed he was suddenly relaxed more than not. He still gets into puppy play mode, but it’s more deliberate. I’m not explaining very well, but overall he seemed like an adult male then.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about protective instincts? This guy is a lover and I don't ever see him protecting anything or anyone LMAO. I think he's the one that'll wanna lick the bad guy to death...

When I first started on this forum, I was told to be careful as these guys might have a crazy temperament. I got the exact opposite. He won't even bark when you knock on the door or ring the bell. He just wants to meet new people as they enter my house LOL...

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
How about protective instincts? This guy is a lover and I don't ever see him protecting anything or anyone LMAO. I think he's the one that'll wanna lick the bad guy to death...

When I first started on this forum, I was told to be careful as these guys might have a crazy temperament. I got the exact opposite. He won't even bark when you knock on the door or ring the bell. He just wants to meet new people as they enter my house LOL...
I think that is great for a foundation as an 8 month old. You want a PP dog that is not afraid of people. I find the 3 year mark to be a full adult. And after years of hard work, it is finally paying off after you have pulled all your hair.
Be patient and enjoy his puppy/adolescence.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

Early protective instinct is actually not always a good thing. Friendly and confident is good. I have a dog that is "suspicious" and it started at 7 months. I have been working on it with trainers and building confidence. Even though it looks like over confidence, it is actually was a lack of confidence in himself and in me. Through IPO training as his confidence goes up, his need to posture goes way down. He is still aloof, which is fine. Point is a confident friendly pup is a GOOD thing. Over friendliness isn't desirable as they age either though. Best advice I was given is get their focus, whether it is over friendly or the opposite..get their focus through relationship building, games like tug, work on a focused heel. If you are the most important thing to him in the room, it makes it easier to navigate him through either over or under friendliness.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha... Thanks guys

I took him to a trainer that does IPO and I was told he'll make a great house pet for the family, but forget about IPO work (that's what she does). I took him to another trainer who did this for some time ago and now still does it, but retired said he's a good dog, but still keep your eye on him. He is going to come by next week to evaluate him and see what kind of work we can do and give me a price. Sounded like he isn't cheap (even though he's retired). He was showing me pics of him doing protection work back from the 80s and 90s in a binder. lol

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Gotcha... Thanks guys

I took him to a trainer that does IPO and I was told he'll make a great house pet for the family, but forget about IPO work (that's what she does).
Uhhh...hmmm. I am not an expert by any means but I think at 8 months that is a bit of a premature proclamation. Maybe they can tell at this stage who will be a strong IPO dog...maybe not a trophy winner...but a club shouldn't discourage you from going for BH and see what happens from there. There is no protection work in BH, and it is a good foundation. There is a reason they can't test even to BH until 15 months..maturity. If it is a competition driven club, maybe they are as concerned with points as there are with merely earning the title? If so find another club. I drive an hour and 26 minutes to go to one that is accomplish driven rather than trophy driven (well, everyone likes trophies, but they accept you even if you are not going to be a contender)

Work on focus, go with the new trainer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uhhh...hmmm. I am not an expert by any means but I think at 8 months that is a bit of a premature proclamation. Maybe they can tell at this stage who will be a strong IPO dog...maybe not a trophy winner...but a club shouldn't discourage you from going for BH and see what happens from there. There is no protection work in BH, and it is a good foundation. There is a reason they can't test even to BH until 15 months..maturity. If it is a competition driven club, maybe they are as concerned with points as there are with merely earning the title? If so find another club. I drive an hour and 26 minutes to go to one that is accomplish driven rather than trophy driven (well, everyone likes trophies, but they accept you even if you are not going to be a contender)

Work on focus, go with the new trainer.

This isn't a club. she just trains dogs now. She did win some IPO stuff, but it's all beyond me.

That being said, I got him to jump in and out of our SUV couple days ago (he was scared to jump in lol) so I feel pretty accomplished. And while showing off my skills to the wife, he decided it was play time and took off on me. Luckily I caught him in a neighbors garage (lesson learned = use a long leash) I hadn't done any recall training, so when I got him back home we did a recall command. I don't know how effective it will be when he decices to get stupid on me again, but it works pretty well at the house even with some distractions. I'm going to try it in other places and try to proof it. It's pretty neat. I will say "Chase, come!" and his job is to touch his snout to my palm which is the mark spot.

ANYWAYS... I was curious how I can get this guy to bark so I can at least teach him a bark command too.. .I can't get him to bark. Only thing he'll bark at is other dogs he sees when he does potty. He won't do it on a structered walk, more so when he's "free" to potty. I tried back pole with a harness and a toy, or food but he just won't do it. Perhaps that's another thread I need to ask in. lol

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Just be happy he doesn't bark yet, I think it's a good sign but barking at dogs should be taken care of. I am surprised that you haven't worked on the recall yet. To me it is THE first command to work on when you get a pup/new dog. Did you get him as a pup? He now has already learned that coming to you is only optional. IPO is more than PP. Obedience should be the foundation. Time to get the basics down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts