German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, recently I posted about transitioning my GSD from his puppy X-pen to a puppy-proof bathroom until he's an adult. He's outgrowing the pen really fast and I chose the bathroom as opposed to crate training due to my long hours at work (despite having my fiancé and her grandparents get him out from time to time)...

So, I'm soon going to be moving him into the bathroom since he is getting bigger. Other than pretty much stripping everything out of there, what other steps should I do to help him in the transition? I've been trying to desensitize him to me leaving, but after only a few seconds, he begins scratching at the bathroom door and whines. We've been learning together how to use Kongs and what treat substance works best for him, but that's only a temporary treatment for the symptoms, not dealing with the underlying problem (training him to be alone).. I don't want him scared for hours and hours.... I want him to enjoy his little den area.... But I'm worried he will tear up the door scratching and crying. It breaks my heart having to leave him but I don't want my apartment damaged. Please please please help!

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
You need a gate instead of a closed door.Extra tall gate or two baby gates stacked.If he's been fine in the pen he should be fine in the room.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Well I tried this and nothing I put there helped. I tried one gate, then two gates, and one taller gate. He got out of the bathroom every time.,I did not even consider the door shut because I knew I wouldn't have a door.

So if you go the gate route, test it in short periods so your not surprised if the dog escapes. It might work if you can put the gate into the wall with screws, but you would have to fix that when you move.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
It is likely your bathroom will suffer damage. Painted sheet rock and wood are not that tough for a frustrated puppy's teeth and claws to damage. This breed normally has high energy and gets bored easily. I cannot imagine the bathroom will make your pup happy and tranquil.

I would suggest a dog day care so you pup gets the mental & physical activity he needs.

I had mine blocked in the laundry room when a pup but I was only gone a couple of hours at a time. My previous pup when I was working was in the well fenced yard with the door open to the garage/shop with an old couch where he could get out of the weather.

My most recent pup, at 5 mos old was able to push out the door baricade with a dresser pushed against it and escape when she was 5 mos old. Also, her claws had started doing damage to the sheetrock by the baricade. Fortunately she proved she was trustworthy to have run of the house at 5 mos.

I think you would be doing a better service to him if you found someplace that could take care of his needs while you are gone for long hours at work.:) They are so alert and have so much energy and need exposure to so much....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is likely your bathroom will suffer damage. Painted sheet rock and wood are not that tough for a frustrated puppy's teeth and claws to damage. This breed normally has high energy and gets bored easily. I cannot imagine the bathroom will make your pup happy and tranquil.

I would suggest a dog day care so you pup gets the mental & physical activity he needs.

I had mine blocked in the laundry room when a pup but I was only gone a couple of hours at a time. My previous pup when I was working was in the well fenced yard with the door open to the garage/shop with an old couch where he could get out of the weather.

My most recent pup, at 5 mos old was able to push out the door baricade with a dresser pushed against it and escape when she was 5 mos old. Also, her claws had started doing damage to the sheetrock by the baricade. Fortunately she proved she was trustworthy to have run of the house at 5 mos.

I think you would be doing a better service to him if you found someplace that could take care of his needs while you are gone for long hours at work.
They are so alert and have so much energy and need exposure to so much....
I wish I could do that and just let him run free.. And it sounds like you're lucky. I'd love to have him out and running the apartment but I know he'd get into stuff and tear some stuff up.

Also, I've considered the daycare but there aren't any 24 hour ones around here. I work 12 hour and 16 hour shifts overnight and my girlfriend gets him out when she can... Just sometimes he is in there 4-5 hours and throws fits. Rips up soiled pee pads and tosses his food and water bowls around. It makes me really upset that he's not comfortable.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think that given that you are on overnight shifts a crate would actually be a better option. The dog may prefer being able to see his home and will understand that a crate is a place to rest. My dogs would not enjoy a locked room at all I don't think, there is nothing to do in a bathroom other than get into trouble. Good luck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rather keephim in a crate than lock up in the bathroom. Not so much for the bathroom, but thinking about your dog. Or do baby gates for the bathroom i think. When they cant see the environment i think thats when they go mental

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rather keephim in a crate than lock up in the bathroom. Not so much for the bathroom, but thinking about your dog. Or do baby gates for the bathroom i think. When they cant see the environment i think thats when they go mental
I really want to do the baby gate and keep him in the bathroom so he would have more room (especially as he gets bigger) I just couldn't imagine keeping him in a crate after he's been so long in an xpen. Right now I'm just trying to figure out the best spot for him.. I care about the bathroom but I care about Kai way more...likewise if he's happy and comfortable and properly occupied, the bathroom will only suffer maybe minimal, repairable damage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts