German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a mondioring practice today. They evalutated Kono and said "She really wants to work" but the problem is shes only worked on a jute sleeve not the nylon kind the helper had. They said that I may have missed my opportunity to train her on that sleeve, and then said she would do great with a schutzhund sleeve. I just dont have passion for schutzhund as much as I do for Mondio. I dont want to do routine routine routine I want to be able to train almost for any situation.

I want to know if I did miss my opportunity for mondio and if she'll only do well on a jute sleeve. She's 15 months old. Ill give you details about what happened.

Took Kono out. Told them that my old trainer had her on a full hard sleeve. They got a nylon one out and right away Kono wanted it. One of the helpers even said "Well she knows what a sleeve is" Because she was pulling for it and got all amped up. I did the "be a tree" stance and he worked her with that. She bit it then let go to sniff it. He waited just because it was a new environment and a new sleeve so he let her sniff it. So he started doing the fakes again and then Kono bit but wasnt really keeping on. She had a full bite but not holding on. We did a few more then he stopped. (Also When I did the circle thing Kono would drop the sleeve like 2 seconds after.) We stopped and then talked about how its a new sleeve and how she did well on the jute. Then he told me about a schutzhund club that may be open for members but really wasn't.

So there it is. I mean everyone said she looks like she really wants to work and how she wants to get back into the space to do more work but she doesnt like the sleeve. Any advice? Should I get synthetic tugs and bite pillows and will that help her get used to it? Or am I just wasting my time and I should go back to Schutzhund? Kono could really care less as long as she gets to bite something ;) HAHA! but I really do want to go back next week and show that she can do it if she tries. I'm not really looking to get her to be trained in everything really quickly. I dont even really want to trial. Kono is my first dog, I just want to learn how to train dogs for the sport and learn all the ropes and then maybe my next dog I can trial. So should I get a bite pillow and tugs and then go back?

:help:

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Um... My dogs would bite anything. I don't forsee any dog not being able to transition to any other bite equipment. Perhaps there is more work bc of it, but not a "oops, can't do that sport"

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. The helper was kinda saying like you should stick with the jute just because shes good with it. I know it means more work and want to do this. I just wanted to see if my thoughts were correct, and if get pillows and tugs would help the transition.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
The only thing that would worry me is YOU worrying about what kind of material the dog is biting and then transpiring your anxiety to the dog by over-thinking, because of what you were told.

If your dog really wants to bite in one session she'll meet the new material and adjust. No "work" needed, just relax and enjoy...

Akela bit a suit for the first time in March, it never even crossed my mind he would have a problem with the material of the suit. Perhaps the gestures, the routine, the body language of the helper, but the material... nop.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I think their assessment is very short sighted. I have seen many many dogs that don't take to something right off and with training and work....3 months later you would never know this was issue. If the dog has already demonstrated the ability to grip a hard jute sleeve convincingly, I don't see the problem if you put the work in. In our club, we had a few top show dogs Dobe adults that joined and had problems with jute or it was difficult to use nylon sleeve after started on jute....all of them made the transition to nylon and full suit! Now some took longer than others for sure, but your dog is starting out already biting a surface full. Not impressed with the advice you got.....:confused:.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I will say there are many pseudo trainers today, that can only train high drive or highly motivitated dogs....a real dog trainer has to be able to make the connect if the dog has the capability.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I will say there are many pseudo trainers today, that can only train high drive or highly motivitated dogs....a real dog trainer has to be able to make the connect if the dog has the capability.
I have jute, synthetic, leather, etc covers for my sleeves and wedges. Some members freak out if I don't use the jute. Many dogs spit it when they first bite synthetic (and if I'm using it on them all have it removed when they bite leather covers ;)). They have all gotten over it before halfway through the session

I'm making it up as I go lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is it possible this isn't the entire reason they are reluctant to continue her training? Maybe nerve issues coming out, that you're seeing as an unwillingness to bite a new material, but a more experienced person who knows his sport is seeing as a weakness that is going to make the sport difficult for the dog and make her better suited for SchH as a whole?

Ang

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Is it possible this isn't the entire reason they are reluctant to continue her training? Maybe nerve issues coming out, that you're seeing as an unwillingness to bite a new material, but a more experienced person who knows his sport is seeing as a weakness that is going to make the sport difficult for the dog and make her better suited for SchH as a whole?

Ang
Impossible to say from here. So many people who don't want to invest effort in a dog they don't think has a shot at being the next big thing... I put just as much effort into the dogs that I personally doubt will ever even attempt a title, as I do the dogs that are already competing at the national level. I love my dogs, and I respect that other people love theirs. If they show up to train, we train. I feel thats owed.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
If you were close I'd tell you to swing by and we'd have the dog biting whatever the crap was available over the course of a weekend

·
Registered
40 Posts
If they show up to train, we train. I feel thats owed.
So is honesty. As in, "no, I don't think this is the right sport for your dog, s/he'll probably be better at SchH." Not saying that's the case here, which is why I asked the question, and until it's answered by the OP anything more is pure speculation.

Ang

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I will say there are many pseudo trainers today, that can only train high drive or highly motivated dogs....a real dog trainer has to be able to make the connect if the dog has the capability
This is so true..

I wouldn't give up on the dog just yet.. Not after one session!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
So is honesty. As in, "no, I don't think this is the right sport for your dog, s/he'll probably be better at SchH." Not saying that's the case here, which is why I asked the question, and until it's answered by the OP anything more is pure speculation.

Ang
I agree. I don't fill people's heads with delusions of grandeur.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts