German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing the web and ran accross a company that shall remain nameless. It provided what looked to be really excellent training. The GSD's that I saw were absolutely beautiful and as smart and technical as I've ever seen. That being said, I have a couple of questions...

1. Is there any difference in the quality of training that would foster a $35,000 price tag?

2. Can the sharpness and precision of the training be achieve entirely by 100% positive reinforcement?

I can see there are a lot of trainers and professionals on this site, I was just wondering what your thoughts were. Is it possible to get a $1,500 pup to do the same things a $35,000 GSD do? Please pardon my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
well, all I know is I've seen pound puppies that have been trained to do some pretty amazing things.........personally, I think when you spend that kind of money it is a status thing......but then again, I'm not into the high end training either.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Very interesting question - wish I knew the exact answer. I have seen many dogs that were much less than $1500.00 go through a positive reinforcement régime and come out with some amazing results. As far as the $35,000.00 price tag, I would guess (only a guess) that by the time the typical K-9 dog is fully trained and ready for duty that the municipality has invested that much.

As for positive reinforcement, our B’EL was search & rescue, ARA is certified TDI and “BB” is in training for TDI. All trained completely with positive reinforcement.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
What is it a 35,000.00 dog was trained to do? It would have to be to cook and clean before I would consider it to be training worthy of that price tag!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Get a job and start paying me back the $35000 ...

Executive protection dogs ... some people just have too much money to spend ...

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Well, this is just what I've heard: most of these dogs are nothing more than club lvl SchH3 dogs with some PPD training.

Again, that's what I've heard. I don't travel in circles where people have money to buy something like that so I've never seen one in person

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
By the time I train my dog to the level of some of those dogs (the legit ones that can actually do what is advertised) I probably will have spent close to $35,000, but the problem is that money cannot buy trust, a bond, a working relationship with the dog. I just can't fathom entrusting a dog I've known only a few weeks to protect me and my family.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I don't think it has to cost that much to train a dog in protection and sell it as a "protection dog". There are no standards or regulations in that particular industry/market. Most are trained to bark and maybe bite. They are not titled for the most part. The price is, IMO, hilarious.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Oh I have no doubt that some of the dogs I've seen have had the equivalent of $35K worth of training (probably quite a bit more actually). As a matter of fact some dogs abilities are absolutely priceless, regardless of what is they are asking for them. But to spend that kind of money on a personal protection dog (not S&R or police or whatever) is a bit overboard. I remember another web site that was selling "personal protection" dogs for better than $85K once....

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
A fancy web site doesn't mean much.

Several years ago I heard about a company in the midwest that was adopting dogs from the pound and training and selling them for $30,000 to $50,000 and saying they were European imports. This was several years ago, so I don't remember all the details, but they had an awesome website.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I wonder what 35,000.00 in training constitutes?

I have friends who train dogs for customs work, dual purpose police work, etc. It is not $35,000.00 worth of training. I know people who have purchased top level competition dogs... the price is high there of course, but the level of performance of the dog is top.

I just can't imagine what sort of training for a home companion/protector costs or constitutes more than top level competition of dual purpose police work?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Also, keep in mind if you are looking to spend $35k on a protection dog, you probably (1) have ALOT of money, (2) don't know much about dogs, and (3) not very interested in the nuts and bolts of training. Perfect sweet spot for someone to step in and sell you something ridiculously overpriced.

Same as rich people and cars. Most of them don't know much about cars nor do they care much about cars ... but they do care about how much their cars cost and how ritzy the cars look.

P.S. I do see on Ivan Balabanov's site he sells protection dogs. One listed as 8k , one as 15k. On top it says the dogs range from 10k to 35k. The 15k dog came from his kennel, 2 1/2 old, fully trained. Think that's a fair price?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I think it really depends on what the dog is trained to do and what kind of additional training for the new owner/handler is included in the price.

Vohne Liche Kennels - http://www.vohneliche.com/ - provides dogs for the Lucky Dog Program (detector dogs) here on base, and after the dogs come back from deployment, they go back to Vohne Liche. They sell the dogs that were returned to them through their website, at $10,000 for single purpose and $14,000 for dual purpose dogs, and are between 2 and 3.5 years old.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Yes, 10,000 to 14,000 for a trained and experienced explosives dog.
This is in line with what the people I know have given for or gotten for such dogs.

In regards to the exec. ppd, this is my point exactly.

I know the story of a wealthy, non dog savvy person who purchased himself a big dollar PPD. It was a real nice dog. He ended up in the garage holding a gun on the dog!! So much for personal protection. Gave the dog away ,fortunately, before he was able to do it in. The dog became a lovely companion and competition dog. And so it goes.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts