German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,116 Posts
Victor is not food motivated at all. I don't train with treats anyway. It might take a little longer to learn training but I want them to do the commands to please me not to get a treat. My male dog was kept treat hungry by the training facility he came from but I kept up his training by his tennis ball. He will do anything for his tennis ball. My little one will do her training with any she is playing with a the time.

· Registered
3,116 Posts
Um, that's really not how using treats to train works, and no, you don't need to have treats with you forever for the dog to comply with commands either. :)

The reason I said this was because my male was underweight when I got him. He came from a training facility that fed a poor diet and kept their dogs hungry on purpose. They underfed him to keep him hungry so he would be super obedient so they could sell him easier. These guys are in it for a profit. We had to put about 15 lbs on him when we got him home. He would scarf down treats or anything. He ate like a horse when we got him home and always looking for more. He was afraid of a water hose because they sprayed him down everyday in his kennel. He had sores,flaky skin and grooming issues. We were newbies at the GSD so we did not know a lot about them we assumed he was healthy. That is why I like to teach without treats. These issues with him is how I found this site. I know there are trainers and people out there that do use treats for training the right way but it was different in our case. After all these are people who told me to beat him and put him to sleep when I called asking for some advice on him. I am not meaning any of this to be rude or to be preceived as rude. I just wanted to give some back story on him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.