German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with working line dogs, when did your training start to "click"? In other words, when did you see a noticeable transition from basic, short training sessions to when your dog really started to understand what was being asked of it. I'm not referring to teaching tricks...I'm referring to obedience (as well as sport work). I also ask in regards to the working lines because I understand that they tend to mature a little more slowly. Kaiser is from Belgian lines and may have a smigden of czech in him as well.

I'd like to know the following:

-How old your dog was when you started either the foundation work (as a puppy) or basic training (if you started with an older dog)

-How old they were when you could really start adding pressure and progressing with their training

-general bloodline, if known

-type of training

I started doing basic foundation work with Kaiser at 6 weeks and started with a trainer at around 16-18 (I can't recall offhand which it was). Unfortunately I had to go out of town for 3 months, and while I was able to bring him and continue the basics, we couldn't progress because I was learning how to work with him in a way that was completely different from how I trained Dakota. After that I had surgery, so for another few months we were really at a standstill with our progress, and, if anything, we backtracked a little. About a month ago I was able to start getting back into the obedience training, so we are slowly getting our focus back...but...we have a LONG way to go still. Kaiser will be 16 months old on May 25. Right now all we are working on is focus (thats the main thing), heeling, sits/downs, recalls all under some distractions. I have no doubt we'd be much farther along if I could take the last 6 months back, but...all we can do is more forward :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
For those of you with working line dogs, when did your training start to "click"? In other words, when did you see a noticeable transition from basic, short training sessions to when your dog really started to understand what was being asked of it. I'm not referring to teaching tricks...I'm referring to obedience (as well as sport work). I also ask in regards to the working lines because I understand that they tend to mature a little more slowly. Kaiser is from Belgian lines and may have a smigden of czech in him as well.

I'd like to know the following:

-How old your dog was when you started either the foundation work (as a puppy) or basic training (if you started with an older dog)

-How old they were when you could really start adding pressure and progressing with their training

-general bloodline, if known

-type of training

I started doing basic foundation work with Kaiser at 6 weeks and started with a trainer at around 16-18 (I can't recall offhand which it was). Unfortunately I had to go out of town for 3 months, and while I was able to bring him and continue the basics, we couldn't progress because I was learning how to work with him in a way that was completely different from how I trained Dakota. After that I had surgery, so for another few months we were really at a standstill with our progress, and, if anything, we backtracked a little. About a month ago I was able to start getting back into the obedience training, so we are slowly getting our focus back...but...we have a LONG way to go still. Kaiser will be 16 months old on May 25. Right now all we are working on is focus (thats the main thing), heeling, sits/downs, recalls all under some distractions. I have no doubt we'd be much farther along if I could take the last 6 months back, but...all we can do is more forward :)
GSD, started foundation at 8wks. Puppy never wanted treats so we switched from marker training to praise training. It clicked within a couple weeks, by 4 months of age we were really able to ramp up the pressure.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
They are all so different..and every handler's training skills and time availability is unique. My guy is Czech/West German/Belgian ,15 months old. He has basic obedience installed.

I started clicker training at 8 weeks. He has had positive training methods used with a smidgeon of corrections to stop things like pounding on our collie! lol He has attended 1-2 classes a week since I got him. We have done agility, OB, dock-diving, tracking. He has his CGC. I dont plan on adding pressure, he tries hard to please.

Focus, when we go out and about is iffy at first until he acclimates himself. After about 15 minutes at a new environment he will be ready to offer up some good focused heeling. Honestly, right now he is a really good boy, but he sees obedience as boring,(try as I might, lol) so we are trying tracking and he seems to really enjoy it. I am not rushing it, we have no set goals, just wanting to have fun. My trainer says he is right on track for an adolescent, in-tact male. :)

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
GSD, started foundation at 8wks. Puppy never wanted treats so we switched from marker training to praise training. It clicked within a couple weeks, by 4 months of age we were really able to ramp up the pressure.
What type of pressure would you put on a 4 month old puppy?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Really hard to say when it "clicks". They are all so different. I don't rush things or add any correction until the dog with out a doubt has an understanding what I'm asking it to do. It's not really fair for me to crank on my dog when I ask it to sit but all it hears is sdfdfhf. My current puppy is 16 weeks and I don't think he knows anything. All I have done is shape behaviors for obedience and protection work. For obedience I will reward him for certain positions but I don't force him into them. I want him to want to offer those positions because good things happen when they do. Obedience should be a fun time. If my dog shuts down then I have failed them. Yes I have done this with my older dogs. I have learned haha. For protection shaping, I only reward full hard grips. Basically its a lot of chase your toy and then lets play tug-o-war. He thinks its great! Then I cradle and calm. I also play 2 ball with him. All are great fun tools for him to play but at the same time, learn behaviors that I will need for the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts