German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to bring home my GSD puppy in about 2.5 weeks and have been doing a lot of research. I’ve really liked the Michael Ellis training videos I have seen and noticed he has many, many DVDs available. I was wanting to start with 3-4 DVDs and wondering which ones I should get.

I know I want The power of training dogs with food and The power of playing tug with your dog, but I’m unsure what other videos in his series would be best to start with.

Can anyone recommend what other videos I should focus on with my new companion? Should I get Raising your puppy, training the retrieve, focused heeling, or maybe the Ed Frawley video The power of training dogs with markers. Is there any certain ones I should focus on?

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
I’m getting ready to bring home my GSD puppy in about 2.5 weeks and have been doing a lot of research. I’ve really liked the Michael Ellis training videos I have seen and noticed he has many, many DVDs available. I was wanting to start with 3-4 DVDs and wondering which ones I should get.

I know I want The power of training dogs with food and The power of playing tug with your dog, but I’m unsure what other videos in his series would be best to start with.

Can anyone recommend what other videos I should focus on with my new companion? Should I get Raising your puppy, training the retrieve, focused heeling, or maybe the Ed Frawley video The power of training dogs with markers. Is there any certain ones I should focus on?
What are your goals for the dog? Pet, bite sports, personal protection, competition agility or OB...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

What are your goals for the dog? Pet, bite sports, personal protection, competition agility or OB...
I’d like to start off trying obedience and agility training then getting into tracking and maybe something fun like dock diving. I don’t know if I’ll ever get into more protection work but who knows maybe I’ll like it and try it.

I think a lot will depend on what the dog likes and excels a

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts

I’d like to start off trying obedience and agility training then getting into tracking and maybe something fun like dock diving. I don’t know if I’ll ever get into more protection work but who knows maybe I’ll like it and try it.

I learned a lot from Michael Ellis videos. That being said, I learned more from reading the 3 volumes of applied dog behavior and training and from working with competent trainers.

Foundation work is really important in competition OB. Fixing incorrect position is much harder than training correct position. Agility is different in that you will be training behaviors that you don't use in normal life.

My suggestion is to educate yourself on how dogs learn and find a club or mentor that trains in the discipline that you want to pursue.

None of Michael's videos will be a waste of money. He's a talented and charismatic trainer. He explains himself well. He shows the difference in poor timing and good timing. He shows what right and wrong look like. I would find every free video available, watch them, and then decide what you need to fill in. I have 4-5 of his videos and don't regret purchasing any of them.

Again, a big shout out to the handbooks of applied dog behavior and training. They are expensive. They are worth it. Once you understand how dogs learn, it's much easier to train them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I learned a lot from Michael Ellis videos. That being said, I learned more from reading the 3 volumes of applied dog behavior and training and from working with competent trainers.

Foundation work is really important in competition OB. Fixing incorrect position is much harder than training correct position. Agility is different in that you will be training behaviors that you don't use in normal life.

My suggestion is to educate yourself on how dogs learn and find a club or mentor that trains in the discipline that you want to pursue.

None of Michael's videos will be a waste of money. He's a talented and charismatic trainer. He explains himself well. He shows the difference in poor timing and good timing. He shows what right and wrong look like. I would find every free video available, watch them, and then decide what you need to fill in. I have 4-5 of his videos and don't regret purchasing any of them.

Again, a big shout out to the handbooks of applied dog behavior and training. They are expensive. They are worth it. Once you understand how dogs learn, it's much easier to train them.
The books by Steven Lindsay?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I really liked Raising Your Puppy by Micheal Ellis, Purely Positive Training by Sheila Booth, and Stonnie Dennis of YouTube fame.

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts

The books by Steven Lindsay?
Those are the ones.

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
I really liked Raising Your Puppy by Micheal Ellis, Purely Positive Training by Sheila Booth, and Stonnie Dennis of YouTube fame.
Stonnie is such a good resource. I send people that way all the time.

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
I also love all the free advise from The Collared Scholar. She has a wealth of information in her blog posts as well as teaching classes online (those you pay for)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been doing a lot of reading, researching and video watching lately but honestly I’m so close to getting a pup that I wish I had started learning a year ahead of time. So since I’m in such a time crunch now what would you all consider the best way for me to start? I’m thinking I could watch a video to start and get a book to read in my spare time. But to get the most information the fastest starting out I think a video would be best. I really want the series of handbooks in applied dog behavior and training but I don’t see how I could read those in time to start working with the pup right away.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Check out Ivan Balabanov Pay per Train.

Best of all, get your hands dirty and start training. Save your money for club, training class, and seminars. My ME videos are collecting dust... most were second hand anyway.

The book Excelerated Learning is a great short and dirty version of how dogs learn, and much cheaper than the behavioral textbooks (at least to start).

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
Check out Ivan Balabanov Pay per Train.

Best of all, get your hands dirty and start training. Save your money for club, training class, and seminars. My ME videos are collecting dust... most were second hand anyway.

The book Excelerated Learning is a great short and dirty version of how dogs learn, and much cheaper than the behavioral textbooks (at least to start).
All this stuff too. Ivan is brilliant.

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Ordering now
Which one?

Slamdunc is the one that turned me on to Purely Positive. He reccomends that book a lot. You probably don't need it but a good reference book for those wanting to set a motivational foundation.

The other book is small but condenses a lot of good stuff in it. A member here that has Mals recommended that book to me.

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
I've had Sheila Booth's Purely Positive Training and Pamela Reid's Excel-erated Learning for many years and they're both very good. The Amazon link said Excel-erated Learning is from 2013 and I knew I read it longer ago than that, I'm pretty sure it was on the recommended list from a class we took with Cassidy who we lost in 2004. I googled it and saw that the book was originally published in 1996, which makes sense, I would have bought it shortly after it first came out. I probably should re-read it, I'm sure I'd get even more out of it now, since back then even the most basic concepts of dog training were brand new for me.

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I’ve decided to start with a few books and a few videos

As far as books, here is the list so far, but I could use a little help narrowing it down.

Purely Positive Training
Handbook of applied dog behavior and training Volumes 1, 2, and 3
Excel-erated Learning

Can anyone give me a little more info on the handbook of applied dog behavior and training series? Those three books are very, very expensive, but if they are as good as I have heard then I would get them. But doing that would kill the rest of my book budget for now

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I have not read the Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior volumes so I cannot comment but I think you can get by quite nicely with the other two books to get you started, that and watching some Stonnie Dennis videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for the advice. I have just placed an order for tons of stuff in anticipation of my puppy. I’ll order some books tomorrow. So far I have a crate, food bowl, water bowl, ex pen, leash, clicker, training treats, training bag, some Michael Ellis DVD’s, tons of toys and soon to be some books

1 - 20 of 21 Posts