German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Just wanted to get an idea of some of the treats your pups seem to like the most. Im going to be feeding him his meals during training sessions so these would just be for smaller sessions and when hes being a very good boy lol... I see a lot of people are using the Natures Balance rolls and Stewart freeze dried liver treats.. Thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't know about the two you mentioned, but my 9 week-old pup loves Full Moon Duck-flavored Training Treats. They look like tiny little sausage bits and admittedly smell delicious... he seems to love them but only gets them as a high-value treat when he does something really awesome. He also enjoys Cloud Star's Tricky Trainers Cheddar Flavor, which smell like mac n' cheese. Not sure why all of his favorite treats smell yummy to me.

Other than that, we give him kibble (Orijen Large Breed Puppy) as quick treats and he enjoys that also.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
We use liver treats (don't remember the brand), cheese, hot dogs (diced into tiny pieces), or cut up chicken (rotisserie chickens from the grocery store, skin removed).

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input! Seems like cheese and hotdogs are the winners, which i didn't think was very good for them, but I guess in such small amounts it cant hurt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In addition to cheese sticks and hotdogs, I’ve had luck with Happy Howies meat rolls and Tricky Trainers treats. I’ve also used the Redbarn rolls, but they are often a bit crumblier on cutting and in the pocket and seem to have less value than the others. Haven’t had a chance to use the Natural balance one yet.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Turkey pepperoni, roast beef cut into small pieces, Cloudstar, Merrick rabbit flavored. I used to use Wellness Wellbites but I prefer something that's already the "right" size and I can just pop it in her mouth instead of breaking it up as I go.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I use soft ones. Mine likes Crazy Dog Train Me on Amazon. It smells but probably why he likes it so much. I also use shredded chicken or cheese cubes sometimes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Formal training is cut up FreshPet, but for more casual rewards I currently use Pet Botanicals Training Treats. I get them at Petco.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pepper loves Vital Essentials. They’re just freeze dried meat, nothing else. The salmon ones are good and smelly, so her focus stays on me for the whole of training. For new tricks, or tricks she really doesn’t want to do (like heel) I use chicken or pork cut up small.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts