German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive started training hardcore again, and i was using freeze dried chicken treats and freeze dried liver treats, but my guy gets HORRIBLE runs the next day, probably cuz of all the training treats...i break them into the smallest pieces but i guess its still too much for him.

what is a good low calorie treat i can use that wont give him bad runs? someone mentiond hebrew national 99.9% fat free hotdogs, and to microwave them...does it make a difference if i use them straight out of the wrapper vs microwaved?

ALSO, on a side note, my guy is around 63lbs, i give him 3 pills of 1000mg salmon oil a day, is that too much?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I buy the nitrate free premium hotdogs for training. Yes, they have calories, but you just reduce your dog's regular meals to make up for it. Actually, don't feed your dog until after training. If your dog isn't happy with the smaller meals, add canned green beans or carrots.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You can buy a nice piece of london broil cheap, cook it a bit and cut it up into small training treat size pieces, thatalways gets my dogs attention.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I buy the Hebrew National and cut them up in small pieces, add garlic powder and nuke them I have their full attention LOL

·
Registered
27,255 Posts
I will use natural balance or red barn rolls for treats and cut them into pea size portions. The lamb NB crumbles though...
I'll also just bake a couple chicken breasts(maybe season with garlic) and then cut them into small training treat portions or for tracking bait. It goes a long way compared to the price you pay for commercial treats with who knows what added.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
any fruits or veggies your guy goes crazy for? Lara LOVES apples, so a lot of times I just cut up chunks of apple and she will work for them.

We also use Zuke's here, 3.5 cal per treat, Amazon.com: Zuke's Mini Naturals Dog Treats Roasted Chicken Recipe, 16-Ounce: Pet Supplies or maybe those would be too much for him if the freeze dried treats are.

You can also mix a different kind of simple kibble into your treat bag instead of having ALL treats so that sometimes in a session he's rewarded with a high value treat and sometimes its a lower value but still different piece of kibble. The opportunity of getting a yummy one should stlil keep his attention

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive used those zukes minis in the past, i think they did good. the freeze dried might of been too much cuz they are like 9 calories per piece..

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I also like London Broil, Beef heart is good too. I just recently bought some wellness lamb and salmon soft treats and I can get about 3 treats out of each one - more if I used a knife.

Wellness:

Lamb, Salmon, Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal. Vegetable Glycerin, Guar Gum, Cane Molasses, Carrots, Sea Salt, Natural Smoke Flavor, Garlic, Blueberries, flaxseed, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Phosphoric Acid (a natural acidifier), Sorbic Acid (a preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative). 12.1 calories per treat.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If I'm training and I know it's something not terribly difficult, I'll use part of his dinner ration of kibble. He loves it but it's something a little more complex Ill use a high value treat like freeze dried salmon or hotdog and maybe skip on half a cup of kibble at dinner. And my pup is on a liquid salmon oil I add in his food that adds up to just above 3000 mg and he is 62 lbs :) works perfectly for him and his coat is so nice and shiny/soft. :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm not sure about the oil. How did you come up with providing 3?

·
Registered
766 Posts
The salmon oil I give him recommends 1 1/2 teaspoons for his weight and this is what is in 1 teaspoon: Per Teaspoon: Omega 3 fatty acids* 1058 mg, EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 644 mg, DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 414 mg, Omega 6 fatty acids* 60 mg.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i choice 3 1000mg tablets cuz i read somewhere i should give 1000mg per 20pounds of weight. 20lbsx3=60lb body weight = 3 pills...but some places say 1000mg per 30lbs, so i duno whats the correct dosage.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I use natural balance rolls and Lamb & rice jerky treats. (from costco)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
no treats made in China. Zuke's, K9 Natural's, Newman's Own,
Blue, Buddy Biscuits are just a few. make your own treats.
a couple of trainers told when feeding hot dogs always cut the peice
into little peices.their thinking was you don't want the dog to choke.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts