German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
((Not sure if this should go in the Training forum or the Feeding forum.))

The breeder I'm getting my pup from feeds Raw. I've never done this before, but I'm open to learning.

I've been watching a lot of Dave Kroyer videos and really appreciate his approach to using the dog's regular meals as an integral part of his training routines. He uses Bil-Jac, which seems simple enough....but how does that brand of food compare to a genuinely raw diet?

If you stick with raw....how do you incorporate the meals into your training routine? Seems awfully messy.

Is Bil-Jac a healthy option?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Freeze dried liver works great for your "high prize" reward..I wouldn't feed too much of it though, otherwise will cause runs. You can also get freeze dried raw food in kibble form. I think Instinct makes some? Not sure the brand name off the top of my head. Just make sure you figure treats into daily intake amounts.

You can also ask the breeder if their pups tend to have food drive or toy/tug/ball drive. Maybe it wont be all food reward all the time :)

I used raw to teach tracking..his regular food. It was messy, yes. Had a kit....defrosted grind in a baggie, a spoon, hand wipes/alcohol based sanitizer, and another ziplock to put the dirty spoon and wipes in when we were done.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I don't do raw treats but I feed raw and try to balance out the amount of treats given in a day to the portion of meals if I've used a lot of treats. But the portion of treats aren't that much.

I do make my own, basically just partial boiled beef, heart, and boiledmeatballs but recently I found that if I scramble a few eggs with a decent amount of parm or Romano cheese then skillet cook it as an omelette, when cooled, the omelette will cut up in pretty small cubes without crumbling.

I use olive oil but Coconut oil will work too and just pat the omelette to remove excess oil.

My guy loves these as much as the meatballs.

Teeny tiny treats helps limit the actual amount so the balance of his raw meals aren't terribly affected but my guy is an adult, pups need more precision with that concern.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
This is easy if your pup proves to have extremely high food drive. I feed regular meals and then I tend to use cheddar cheese for training. I have also used a little kibble (BilJac would also work) or Zukes. The cheese is a bit greasy in the summer, but it is soft and easily eaten by the pup.

The challenge is if the pup/young dog doesn't have high food drive and you need to use its meals for training. Raw is messy and gross to use in obedience. An option would be to use premade raw, roll it into small bites and freeze it taking out a meal's worth for each session. You would probably need to freeze the pieces on a cookie sheet so they don't stick together and then bag. For tracking I have cut up chicken necks into very small pieces and used those.

I am a 20 year raw feeder so understand the challenge.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
I have also used dried cut up pieces of beef, chicken or pork too for my food crazy dogs.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Feeding a raw diet shouldn't impact what type of food you use as a reward. What is more important is that you make sure your dog is hungry when you train. It definitely helps to have a dog with high food drive, but you can build that by giving a lot of his food via training and it doesn't have to be strictly raw. It depends on how active the dog is and his natural food drive. Some dogs have such high food drive you can feed them and then train them after eating, but that is not so common. I like to cook boneless chicken thighs and then cut them into very small pieces. Depending on what you are training for, what is more important is where and how you deliver the food. For example, if you are teaching a focused heel, I like to keep a handful of food in my left hand and funnel the food out of the bottom of my fist. I also like to hold my fist about where the center of your hip is to keep the dog in the correct position. Marking is also important. Having a release command is important. Also, using engagement exercises after a release such as luring the dog into a spin and giving him a bite helps build drive and interest. Timing the presentation of the food is important so that you are reinforcing the desired behavior. So IMO, those types of things are more important than keeping the diet strictly raw.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Seared Ahi tuna with just a hint of sesame oil and a smidge of wasabi......I learn quickly when that is offered to me as a reward.

As far as the dog goes....when I used training treats.....beef....I'd buy cheap chuck roasts......slice it thin.....grill it briefly....cut it into small cubes and train me pup with a meaty hand.

I wanted to cover both possibilities because of the way the topic was worded.

SuperG

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Ziwipeak is a complete food option.

My raw feeding friends use Happy Howies, cheese, hot dogs, some cooked chicken

My own dogs right now are ready to sprout wings and fly for the Newman's Own Beef Jerky. I had a boarder bring some and they were so excited by the smell of it I bought them some and boy do they love that stuff. I'm sure this stuff is not practical for a lot of rewarding all at once but the squares do break up pretty easy so I do use it as a less common high value reward

I recently got some Only Natural Pet Max Meat air dried food (it's a Ziwipeak knock off) chicken flavor. It kind of smells like fried chicken or fast food to me. They LOVE it.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
also, Primal makes a bunch of dehydrated single meat source rewards...some big and not sure how they are to break up, some small-- they have a little chicken nibbler of some sort. Probably spendy.

For a bigger reward I've also fed a chunk of the Primal freeze dried meal food. You're supposed to rehydrate it but if you break off a chunk of the dry that's not too big they can eat it and seem to think it's pretty special

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of great suggestions, y'all! Thank you!

As with any food topic, there are so many different options and countless combos of options. I know, when the time comes, we'll figure out what works for us...but in the meantime, the "Plan Ahead" side of me is twisting herself up trying to find ALL the answers right now.

Seared Ahi tuna with just a hint of sesame oil and a smidge of wasabi......I learn quickly when that is offered to me as a reward.

SuperG
LOL! You and me, both! If you ever find yourself in South Texas, we'll go find some....my treat! :p

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
I don't get carried away. I've fed raw for years. I've made meatballs out of the food to train with. I've used kibble. I've used Pet fresh (this is my favorite). home baked and dried liver. I just use whatever I have and what they will work for tht doesn't cost me a fortune

·
Registered
131 Posts
We feed raw here.
For treats I like to make my own. I will buy some chicken livers, boil them for about 10-15 mins, let them cool, cut them up, then pop them into my dehydrator for a couple days. I don't have a fancy dehydrator so I don't get to set the temp, and I like to make sure the liver is compleatly dehydrated so they don't go bad if I leave them in a pocket somewhere lol I had that happen with the first batch I did. Pretty gross lol
I also just tried to make some fish jerky in the dehydrator. Just some raw fish in the dehydrator. It's taken a few days for them to get done, but the dogs seem to go crazy for them. Dean doesn't like raw fish, and I had a bunch, so I figured why not lol They are super crumbly though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Take some raw meat and slice in to thin strips and then dice in to into small cubes.

Spread evenly on to a plate and place on the top shelf inside a refrigerator for about a week, turning over the pieces each day.

The cold air will dry out the meat.

Put the dried pieces in a sealed container and use as required. Just store in a dry place.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

SuperG
Pair that with a nice Pinot and you described my ideal training treat as well.

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
I think the most important part to consider is to make sure the treats are balanced food. You are replacing an entire meal at times for a growing puppy with treats. This is why I like the Pet fresh. The ingredients are decent and it's super convenient. I've been cutting the pieces in half for Faren.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts