German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,482 Posts
Beau has had his moments of wild abandon and it cost him the long line for awhile. Never to the extent of actually leaving though. More like blowing me off and trying to play keep away. He was about the same age when he pulled some selective hearing.

Seems it was short lived and he turned around but it took a good while of him on a long line to EARN that trust again but I was 100% able to reinforce any come command for a couple of months before I trusted him again. He is now 21 months. . He is intact.

My yard is fenced but we have to have reliability offleads in the woods.

Properly used, an ecollar really can help with this and to me is a better choice than the fence.........Lou Castle has some good articles and is very helpful. I like his techniques in particular as they are very low stim and the dog is very clear headed when you work with him that way. I am still trying to figure out where mine is but right now we are good without.

·
Premium Member
16,482 Posts
Sheilah, we are on the same page there. Once they are in drive that fence shock is but a trifle. It is amazing how a properly timed very low level stim on an ecollar can mean more than taking a full blown hit on a fence.

My little female (before I taught her not to chase game) took such a hit from a cattle electric fence that her who body twitched and you could hear it arc. She blew it off completely. A little very low level stim timed when she made eye contact with the chicken she wanted to eat and that was good enough.

Our neighbor had a (sigh-101 dalmations strikes AGAIN) dalmation that they never excercised. Thing ran through the efence every day Then they would have to drive around looking for it. What do you expect with a dog bred to run all day? The dog was gone the day after I saw all of their carpet by the road. You know when they GOT that puppy I was trying to talk with them about how much excercise that breed needed......

Def takes timing, finesse, and prep work. Or, as you suggest, no trust off of the long line until the problem is fixed. Offlead trust is an earned privelege.

·
Premium Member
16,482 Posts
LOL.

Watching and paying close attention to what happens before what happens happens is usually enough to tell you when you still have time to step in and disrupt the idea of the behavior before it gets past the point of no return. Their doggy brains are endlessly fascinating!
Sheilah
The prick ears and expersssive tail of the GSD make them particularly easy to read compared to some other breeds. Had an acquaintance with a Mastiff and nobody on our team could read that darn thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts