German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Indi has started to do something quite similar. She avoids getting close enough to get her collar because she does not want to work on a leash. Once she is on leash she behaves nearly perfect all the time. Just minor issues like pulling and leading me through doors. But we stop those issues as soon as they happen. She wants to play and she wants to be with her people, but she does not want to put on her leash and go to work. She is fully obedience trained and nearly 2 years old and was originally a Service Dog in Training but was withdrawn for transitioning too slowly. They just could not get her to transition reliably so she had to be withdrawn. Since then she was placed with me as a permanent pet with the eye toward completing her training with me since I am in a wheelchair due to health issues. She is making progress,, but has a stubborn streak a mile wide and still plays the keep away game if she thinks we might go on the leash and go to work. We work very diligently to make each session on the leash as happy and as positive as possible and reward her with her most favorite treat lavishly. She will do anything for a piece of hot dog. The cheaper the better. She loves em. She will only take them from me though, she will not take them from my wife or take anything in the house at all. So what is a positive way to make her want to work on leash and stop avoiding it whenever she thinks we might be going to do some work. It is kind of like she is reading our minds and stays at a distance just in case.... Ideas, Comments, Suggestions??? YIA for any thoughts. Sorry this was so long too.

Wheelchair Bob

1 - 1 of 1 Posts