German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 8 wk old puppy! How much time daily should I put into working on commands with her?
I read somewhere that she can't go for long walks yet, what is an acceptable walk at this age?

TIA for all your suggestions!!

:p

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I do put aside training daily for more intense things like longer downs or sits, heels etc... (at least 4x a week) we all get busy but basic (commands) training can be done throughout your day with her. Sit before you go out, sit before you come in or you can incorp that into a down, sitting on the couch ask for watches or a come if you incorporate your basics throughout your day you can have a dog that listens all the time not just during the training sessions as I see it. When you play with your dog ask for a sit, down or come before you give the toy it can all be fun with all different motivators. That is what I do along with weekly training classes that help keep me on track and accountable.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I wouldn't put your 8 week puppy on any ground other than your house.
Training 10 minutes but I prefer to do as elly said and not really have a training time just work throughout the day on every day things. I like to just bond with my puppies at 8-10 weeks old and work on potty spot outside and take it from there.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It all depends on your puppy. You can incorporate minor training in your everyday life but the real training depends on your puppy's attention span and ability to focus. I did twice a day training for 5-10 minutes every day at 8 weeks but my dog is a high drive dog. A lower drive dog you might get in 1-2 minutes twice a day and that's all you are going to get.

The amount of exercise also depends on your puppy. You can walk your puppy as much as you want so long as you don't push them to go farther or faster than they are willing to go. Chances are around the block is about as far as a puppy this age is going to be able to do.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
It all depends on your puppy. You can incorporate minor training in your everyday life but the real training depends on your puppy's attention span and ability to focus. I did twice a day training for 5-10 minutes every day at 8 weeks but my dog is a high drive dog. A lower drive dog you might get in 1-2 minutes twice a day and that's all you are going to get.

The amount of exercise also depends on your puppy. You can walk your puppy as much as you want so long as you don't push them to go farther or faster than they are willing to go. Chances are around the block is about as far as a puppy this age is going to be able to do.
Elaine is right on with both the amount of traing and type, as well as the exercise thing. I personally only 'train' puppies so young by making everything a big fun game so my puppy can't wait to listen and learn new things. So treats/toys/play mixed in the bunch makes for a well trained and enthusiatic older dog.

If you do OFF leash activities, it's much easier for your pup to pace itself in a healthy way and you to observe and bond with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts