German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just brought home an 8 week old working line GSD pup. I want to start training ASAP. This pup will be a family companion primarily. But I may pursue a BH/RH with him.

Which do you think would be a better start, an AKC STAR Puppy class or a one-on-one with a an often recommended (from these forums) trainer in my area (Philly)?

The trainer I've been speaking to does offer a one-on-one Puppy K class. But I was thinking maybe that my pup would be missing out on the socialization part offered in the AKC class. It's possible the private trainer has socialization built into the class, I just haven't gotten into those details yet with him.

Thanks.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
The one RH club in this country is close to you. You also have many USCA clubs around you. If you want to do sport then you need to put a sport obedience foundation on him and you will not get that at a STAR puppy class. I would call Beth Bradley in NJ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one RH club in this country is close to you. You also have many USCA clubs around you. If you want to do sport then you need to put a sport obedience foundation on him and you will not get that at a STAR puppy class. I would call Beth Bradley in NJ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check out Beth’s website. She does have a puppy K class starting on 1/6/20. But it may be a bit far for a weeknight class. Over an hour and a half away.

Any other suggestions closer to the Philly area for a puppy K class? I want to make sure I give him the best start possible.

I’ve also spoken to the RH folks you are referring to. I’m probably going to take him there once he has the puppy basics down and his Rabies shots.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
A club should be helping you wth puppy basics. Again, if you want to do sport then you need to put a sport obedience foundation on him. Look on the USCA page and find a club near Philly. I've never taken my dogs to a puppy class. It's not a bad idea but I just don't think it's that important if you socialize your puppy correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts